All of our Texas friends?

lilyjohn

I am just asking all of our Texas friends to check in with us. I watch the news and just want to say "oh no here we go again". Please if they ask you get out of there even if you are inland a few miles. Katrina didn't hit my kids head on and thank God they had all left but others I know did stay behind.

Even tho the didn't get a direct hit they did get the western side of the storm and it was pretty bad. Not so much structural damage but the fear. People who would never leave before are saying that they will never stay for another one. So if you have to get out early. The roads were a nightmare for my kids when they left. Finding a place to stay will be hard to. My daughter's sister in law called night before last just in case they would have to leave. The closest rooms she could find were in Mossuri.

That thing is so big. It really frightens me. I know it is not supposed to hit New Orleans but Katrina was not supposed to him Mississippi. Even worse if it does turn North sooner than they expect they would be in the right front quadran. I will be praying that the lesson Katrina taught will save people from the terror and pain caused by it this time.

I will not rest easy until this one is gone from the Gulf.

My very best friend lives in La Porte, TX, just two miles from Galviston Bay. I am just sick with worry for her. She's a single mom of two kids, who struggled and struggled after her divorce, FINALLY saving enough money to build a brand new house for her and the kids -- she moved in less than a year ago. She had to evacuate today, only taking some clothes, some photos and important papers, and her cat. She leaves knowing that she may come back to nothing. And she has no flood insurance. The events of the past few weeks are just horrifying and here we go again.

To everyone out there in the path of Rita, my thoughts and prayers are with you -- please let us know how you all are!

We are in Texas but almost assuredly safe as we are a couple hundred miles from the coast and on relatively high ground. San Antonio's biggest worry will be tornadoes that can be associated as well as potential flooding. Our resources are stretched a little thin already since we have several thousand Katrina evacuees here.

Curtis

My mom and dad are in Baytown Texas which is very close to La Porte.

I am a nervous wreak. I was going ther this weekend from RI to hand hold cuz of this recent diagnosis. NOw it looks like I will be going to hand hold and clean up. That is if there is anything left.

Dad said he felt cursed.

I told him that there was no such thing.

Last night I went at my wood pile with a fury. I am so angry and helpless.

My family is all in San Antonio.

Prayers for safety to all in the path of the storm.

My prayers are for all the people in Texas that this storm will not be as bad as anticipated.

How can this happen so soon? What is going on? This is devestating for me I can't imagine what the people are going through.

My prayers are going out to our friends here and their relatives and friends that are in the path of that massive hurricane, and too everyone involved.

G-d be with you all.

Maryanne

This is just unbelievable to me, so I cannot imagine those who are actually having to live this nightmare. We too, are far enough inland that all will be fine here, i think. They are saying on the news this morning that we could expect to see winds in excess on 90mph here in Tyler. I live in a mobile home, so I'm going to go stay in a friends nice brick house if it does get like that. But like Curtis said, we already have so many refugees here from Katrina, but for the most part they have emptied the remaining shelters yesterday and moved those people into local hotels for the next 30 days, so that the shelters could reopen for Rita evacuee's. But the volunteers are literally exhuasted. They were asking for additional help even before Rita was thought about. Now what?

Everytime i look at the weather it has gotten bigger, and oks to have chg'ed course a bit and now has a beeline directly at Galveston. The news said 2 million evacuating from the coastal areas. The main hwy I45 thru houston taked you thru a city of 4 million which is back to back traffic on any given day,not enough roads for the cars. Pretty bad when planes landing can see nothing but car headlights for as far as you can see.

Saying a prayer for everyone effected by this hurricane and for anyone who has friends and family there, you too are in my prayers.

God Bless

Kim

Well we will be evacuating sometime today. We will be setting up camp in the dorms at a children's camp where we volunteer in the summer. I will be taking all my birth and medical equipment just in case it's needed...

One of my patients will be coming with us as she has two autistic pre-schoolers and a one year old. Her husband is a police officer and has to stay here.

We do appreciate your prayers and your concern. We live on the northwest side out from Houston, so we are staying put. It is too hard on Lucie to move her in all the chaos. We have never had flooding in the 31 years we have lived here. Anyways, you will understand if I disappear from the screen for a few days, or so. If the power is out more than a few days, I will take Lucie to our son's in Dallas. The traffic out of the city should be better by then. Keep us in your prayers. Don

Take very good care, Don and Lucie.

Just talked to my brother in Houston (haven't talked to him in 11 years, but that is another story!) and he is on the west side of town and staying put. He said all of the roads in Houston are jammed and no one is moving. People are standing outside of their cars and many are on the side of the road out of gas. Gas stations have now run out of gas.

My 80+ year old Aunt lives in Beaumont and supposedly just left an hour ago to drive up to Dallas. Don't know how far the traffic will allow her to go.

Very scary for everyone down there.

Lynne

Don, I am glad to hear you are ok and have a plan. My parents left yesterday and are fine in San Antonio. My sister left Spring this morning at 5 am and is only as far as HWY 6! My aunt left the Heights at 7 am and turned around at 3 pm having only reached Memorial Mall. That is absolutely insane!!!!

I think in a disaster, time is your only friend. The good news is the storm is pointing at La. now and getting weaker. I feel so bad for all affected by this storm that hasn't even hit. What a mess.

This storm has me terrified. It keeps edging further East and if it moves much more my kids will be in it's path.

I talked to my daughter a few minutes ago. As of now they are staying put. So far they have been told they will have tropical storm winds and a lot of rain unless it moves further East.

The thing is tonight is really the last safe time to leave. Even if they wanted to leave where whould they go? There are just no rooms anywhere and there are very few roads out that are not still closed from Katrina. Please keep my family in your prayers too. This is proving to be a year that no one wants to see. May God protect everyone. Lillian

Well Don and Lucie, you just hunker down there!

My 80-year old aunt has evacuated from near the Galveston area. Thankfully she left Wed. morning, so she avoided the gridlock. She's in Kansas now, so all is well for her.

Yesterday a bizzare tornado hit our old neighborhood in MN. All this weather stuff is really creepy. Makes me feel like reading the Bible, if you know what I mean.

Prayers out there for all of you dealing with this, in your homes and in your families.

:) Kelly

Well, Don and Lucie--stay safe. My family has already had to move to northern La. because of Katrina. Now, my brother in Corpus Christi moved his family to western Texas. My brother is a judge and is in control of the county budget for the city. He was on Fox news today and said it is a mandatory evacuation for his city. I missed seeing him-darn. But my son saw him on T.V. and called me. my brother,however,with other city officials will not be leaving the city. So, naturally my mother is a mess knowing he's still there. :( My aunt in Galveston in heading to northern Texas. I have so many extended family members in Texas, La, and Ala.

They all have started traveling out of harm's way. I pray for everyone down there. God bless them all,Nancy C

Insane is all I can come up with, and lots and lots of prayers. I can't watch the news because it's so shocking to see all those car's on the freeway and highways. UNREAL! :shock:

We got hit here last night in Minnesota with some very nasty storms. But, nothing like Rita! We had some tornados and 80 mile an hour line winds. Some areas really took a beating.

What is with this weather? WOW!

GOD BLESS YOU ALL!

Prayers for all of you and your families that will be or could be affected by Rita. This storm is a terrible thing. We still have evacuees here in north alabama and have moved them into hotel rooms to make room for any more that may be coming from the texas or louisiana coast.

Don and Lucie, I pray you two are ok. Have you stocked up well with water, food, flashlights etc? We all love you two so much. Prayers for all the others on this board that may be in Rita's path.

Nina