PATKID......

Ann

Pat, you now have my curiousity peaked and I have been thinking of nothing but that mac and cheese with crushed potato chips (Cape Cod brand) on top!!! Can you please share your recipe with us????

Hi, Ann, here is what I use:

Macaroni and Cheese Plus Cheese

Makes about 6-8 servings

2 1/4 cups Barilla medium shells

3 cups Kraft Mild Cheddar Finely Shredded Cheese

2 cups Kraft Sharp Cheddar Shredded Cheese

Rue:

7/8 cup whole milk

1/4 stick Sweet Cream Butter

1 tablespoon Argo 100% Corn Starch

Salt and Pepper to taste

1. Under cook the shells a minute or two than immediately rinse, drain, and let cool.

2. The Rue: In a small sauce pan add milk, butter, salt, pepper, and cornstarch. (Save about a 1/4 cup of the milk to mix the cornstarch with.) Bring to a very slow boil on medium low heat stirring constantly until thickened. Remove from heat and let cool some.

3. Now preheat your oven to 350.

4 .In a large bowl or the pot you cooked the shells in, mix the 3 cups cheddar cheese AND a half cup of sharp to macaroni shells well. Now add the rue and stir until all is well blended.

5. Pour this into a casserole dish and cover the top with the remaining 1 1/2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese and bake, uncovered, for about 30 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown crush potato chips and sprinkle over top of cassarole and return to oven for 15 minutes.

(things I do differently sometimes):

use elbow mac

skip cheddar and use Velveeta (This is Brian's and Eric's (my 'baby') favorite)

Use flour instead of corn starch and start the rue like I do for biscuit gravy.

YOu can add garlic or even cyenne pepper to perk it up if you like.

Brian would rather have this than most other foods.

there ya go. I use Fischers Chips (kettle cooked) that is a Rockford thing.

Val,

Don't worry about failing. Just follow the directions and make sure when making the "rue" you use LOW HEAT. I'm not a good cook at all. I made this over the past weekend and it turned out perfectly. It was awesome. Thanks for sharing it PAT!! Any other great recipes like this are welcome!! I can always use a new dinner to try on the kids.

Does anyone know when the recipe book will be available?

Melinda

http://www.nikibone.com/recipe/cream_sauce.html

Val, all a rue is to me, is just a 'start for sauce'.

It is a 'thickening' for milk or cream or broth.

The most common is flour and butter.

Look at the link above.

You are so close to us, there is no reason we couldn't cook together some day.

I am not good at a lot of fancy stuff, but meals that stretch budgets and make families happy are what I enjoy cooking. All the while my sons were young I was on a very very strict budget......it shows in my cooking.

P

Okay, Pat,

All those sauces sound WONDERFUL. HOWEVER, I need SOMETHING to put them on!!! Know what I mean? Guess some of us need that cookbook sooner than others! Wish I were close enough to cook with you. A friend of mine (who is a much better cook than I) gets together with one of her friends to cook once a week - sometimes every other week. The visit, talk and make enough meals together to feed their families for the whole week. Sounds like a neat idea. Guess it works better if there are more than just 2 people to eat though.

Any other favorites you want to share?

Kasey

When I get back Pat, Iam definetly going to try it. I make my own Mac & Cheese but lately for some reason I just cannot get the top crisp enough. The potato chips might do the trick.

take care, thinking of you both.

Maryanne :wink:

• 1 month later...