I'm Getting A Biopsy and Had CT Scan Today

KC

Well, I went to see a pulmonologist today because I have had a cough for about 2 months. I had a pulmonary function test done last week, thankfully, all was normal. I have been wanting a CT scan of my chest since 2001 when my Dad was diagnosed with his lung cancer. My request was finally granted today. The pulmonologist saw how worried and how much anxiety it was causing me so he ordered the CT scan. Although, he did advise that if I were his sister sitting there, he would tell me not to have it done. He said sometimes people my age (41) will have a nodule (2mm) or so but it is no cause for concern but, if that is the case, I will have to have CT scan after CT scan, etc. etc. I told him I understand and wanted the test anyway. Then I told him I love him!! Finally! Also, he assured me that if he calls me on Monday and says he saw something, he wanted me to promise not to worry about it too much, that it was common. I guess he could tell I was on the verge of another panic attack. Also, I am going in on Thursday, September 29th for a breast biopsy. A density was seen on my mammogram this year in the right breast that wasn't there last year when the films were compared. The radiologist had me come in for a spot compression and he still saw something. Sent me for an ultrsound, but the ultrsound showed nothing. So the radiologist said to have me come back in 6 months for a repeat mammo. Well, I wasn't having any of that after what I learned with my father's cancer and I told him that I wanted a biopsy now, that I wasn't waiting 6 months. He told me there is no evidence that 6 months makes a difference. I had all to do but to laugh in his face. I just told him I know better. So he is doing a stereotactic biopsy next Thurs. Meanswhile, the breast that bothers me sometimes is the left one. Go figure. I would greatly appreciate any prayers that could be offered for me for clear test results on both the CT scan today and the biopsy next week. Thank you and love to all.

Karen

Good luck on both!!!!

I have two related stories to share that hopefully will help calm you down a bit. Altough telling you not to worry will be pot calling kettle black :)

1. Lung--I had a ct scan 3 years ago for kidney stones. It showed a lung infiltrate, so I was told to follow up. I freaked out, went to a pulmonologist, was told how common it was. I was followed with ct scans, it went away but showed up in other lung. Then both resolved, end of chest ct scans. So apparently it is common to have little spots show for no reason.

2. Boobs--I had my first mamogram 6 months ago, they saw something, was told 6 month follow up. My fertilty dr didn't like it, so I had a breast MRI in May which was clear, and my 6 month follow up this past Monday and it was clear. My close friend in NY also had her first one, a breast biopsy, and she was fine.

I hope the same for you!

Karen,

Keeping it all crossed that the scan results are good, and the biopsy is negative for cancer. I understand how you're feeling, my friend. And I am proud of you for advocating for yourself. Your Dad had an unusual form of Lung Cancer (BAC), and that means you really must be vigilant and assertive to insure you receive appropriate health care and followup.

Keeping you in my prayers, always.

Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement and prayers. It means so much. This is the most wonderful group of people I have ever "met". It is so very unfortunate that we all had to meet under these circumstances. Nonetheless, I am grateful for each and every one of you. Much love.

Karen

good luck on both of them. I had a lung CT a couple months ago...and I'm 33. I did come out of pocket for it ($300., was $400. at Sloan Kett.) but it's worth it for peace of mind. I was really beginning to obsess a little, truth be told. at any rate, between my mom's LC, living where I do and my history of smoking (age 12 - 27) I'm not messing around. that said, having gotten the all-clear ( :D ) on the scan, I am comfortable waiting another 5 years (as my GP directed) for the next one - absent any symptoms, of course.

I feel confident your lungs are NED. as for the breast stuff, well for now I'll just say I know how you feel, and leave it at that. I'm sure they'll turn out just fine, as well.

we are keeping you in our hearts and prayers, not to worry.

xoxo

bunny

Thanks everyone. Bunny, I lived in NYC too for my entire life, up until 3 years ago. I lived on that Island with the Dump, so my concern is great. Also, although I never considered myself a smoker, I guess I was. I started around 12, you know the kid stuff once in a while and continued, socially, up until 5 years ago. I wasn't a heavy smoker, but I did smoke. I had in the past labeled myself as a non-smoker, but in actuality, I am a former smoker. If this makes any sense. This increases my fears, as my father was a non-smoker for the 25 years before his diagnosis. I also am fully aware that no one is exempt from LC, smokers and non-smokers alike. Thanks for your well wishes. Nothing can beat peace of mind, that's for sure.