Do you feel scared in between testing times?

midge

I feel wonderful after the doc tells me I don't have to come back for three months..then about a month later I start thinking about "what if this crap is growing somewhere"..I almost (and I say almost very lightly) feel more secure when I am getting chemo..does anyone else feel this way?

Pretty much everyone gets nervous around scan time, I have to take anti anxiety meds or I'd go nuts.

I just had a clear reading so I'm OK for a few months but you can bet I'll be pacing the floor before too long.

Don't have any advice on how to control it, I guess we have to learn to live with it as our new "normal" life.

Stable is good, happy for you :D

Kathy

Midge,

I'm between scans and results right now. I always get anxious, but also repeat to myself that it is what it is and I can't change it. Whatever the scans show, I/we will deal with. I'm getting a bit better on the thoughts that I'm not doing anything right now and one of those little suckers could just spring up and set up shop anytime....I made the two year mark in February.

I don't know what the results will be tomorrow, but I will deal with it all then. I don't have my head buried in the sand, knowing full well that when I was diagnosed, I wasn't even feeling sick, but I don't want to stress about it, either. I'm keeping busy and am more concerned with the here and now - lots going on in the "family" right now that takes my focus from what is going on with me.

Sounds good, but I also have the Xanax in my medicine cabinet in case the darn monsters pop out of their cages in my brain. Sedating still works on the little suckers...

Take care, and welcome to the board.

Becky

I guess I don't get scared at all, but I have a few tense minutes just before I go in to see the oncologist and view the radiologist report. I sit in the waiting room practicing deep (one lunged) breathing. Both of my cancers were early stage. I considered my self cured after the first cancer, and still consider myself cured after the second cancer. I think that due to my stubborn belief in a cure, and it is easy to believe because of early stage, I don't worry about it much. Also, having chemo after my second cancer, makes it easier not to worry about getting cancer again. Still, I am told I am at a high risk for cancer because I have had it twice blah blah blah..

Don M

I can relate. I'm going for a scan in about 2 hours. Unfortunately, because of the way I've been feeling the last couple of weeks I'm not expecting anything positive when we get the results, stable would be great. I just wish they would give you the results right then instead of waiting for the call from the Doc. My attitude has always been expect the worst and hope for the best.

Mike K.

It took me about 6 years to get over the CT scan waiting gitters. I go tomorrow for my CT scan because we are watching and waiting to see what this nodule will or will not do. :roll: We've been watching it for over 3 years. Am I worried? Not right now I'm not! I'm to the point of, it will be what it will be and I can't do a THING about it until I know what it is! But, I USE to have knots in my tummy everytime I'd do my CT scans. Those days are gone!! YIPPIE!!! :D

Sure am glad there is a point where we don't panic over scans. Hang in there, you'll make it to this point some day too! :wink:

I try not to think about it in between testing. I tend to keep myself busy but when it gets close to test time, about a week before, then all the scary thoughts go thru my head until I find out the results. I am sure we all go through this in different ways but keeping active and busy helps me keep it out of my mind.

I will have my first scan since my surgery next week. I told myself that if my surgery was successful (and it seems that it was) that I would not stress out over scans, but just be positive. Well easier said than done. I am so scared. I try to keep busy. I am expecting good results. After reading so many other posts it makes me wonder if it is a matter of time before you go from good scans to bad. Is that why I am so afraid, wondering.

Carol

Oh, of course not. You mean you are fearful in between scans? HA!!! :roll:

Of course, the real answer is that we ALL do -- even the angels who call themselves our "caregivers." We all feel that, I think, and we just express it in different ways.

I have had a LOT of scans over the past 16 months, and as my Pulmonologist says, "your future will include a lot of scans!" I got it. I'll do it. But I don't know if or when that edge feeling ever goes away.

I will say this -- I had a CT this morning, the one they do after every 2 cycles of the Topo I'm taking. I didn't dread the scan so much this time as I did drinking that icky barium stuff! Maybe it is getting better -- the fear, that is.

As long as I feel the fear though, I know that my goal to maximize my survival is still going strong.

Take care.

Di

Although I am not the patient, my husband was DX with small cell limited stage, I am very axious just before his scans and right before the appointment to get the results. Then when the Dr. says ok next scan in 6 weeks we are both happy and scared. soooo much can happen in 6 weeks, but then we relax get back into our routine, then the cycle happens again.

Debbie

Husband Alan DX with LSCLC Jan 2005

I usually don't feel much fear about the cancer, because I'm pretty much asymptomatic and my treatment is a pill every day! Very lucky!!!

But I have an xray or CT scan every month and a couple of days before I go to the doctor I realise I have a lot of nervous energy I'm trying to supress. The "what if's" start popping up in my mind when I need to fall asleep.

I rely on this strategy to get me through the nerves and keep them from growing bigger. I remind myself that whatever happens tomorrow - bad scan news, get hit by a falling airplane engine, choke on a noodle, or win the lottery - I feel good TODAY, I am OK TODAY! And that's all that matters to me TODAY! Keeps the jitters supressed for the most part.

Also helps to write a post and get reassurance and support from everyone here!

Leslie

• 1 month later...

I realize that this is an old, old subject, but it caught my eye. My onc has told me that I have no evidence of active cancer and doesn't need to see me until sometime next year. I know I should be ecstatic, but frankly I'm scared. I may not have cancer now, but what about tomorrow and the next day. I still don't feel like I can make any long term plans - even a few weeks from now. I almost feel abandoned by my doctor. While undergoing treatment, I truly felt safe and cared for - now I'm on my own and scared to death. After reading the posts on this subject, I realize I'm not alone with this feeling - but, gosh, it really astonishes me that I feel this way when I should be grateful and thankful.

You are so right Adee. I feel scared too. I had my first scan in October. Just a couple of days later I started to worry again. I think that after treatment treatment or counseling or something is needed for us. I thank God for this website.