Bone Mets...have questions...

hollyanne

Hello. My mom was recently diagnosed with stage IV NSCL with spots in the left lung mets to lower spine and as of today neck vertebraes. She had 12 sessions of radiation on the lower back which went very well. She was supposed to start chemo today.. yet the MRI of the neck came back (she has severe pain) and now they want to radiate 10 sessions.

I am very new to all of this and pregnant with her first grandchild (so I have pregnancy brain) - my question is, are bone mets always treated with radiation or just when they casue severe pain. She als has pain the hip and knee...they are doing bone scans next week... if these come back as mets, will they consider radiation on three spots at once?

As all of you know... this is such a devastating thing to go through. My mom is 70, in great shape, never smoked and truly my best friend in the world. Sometimes I wonder how I am going to get throuigh the rest of this pregnancy (due in December.) Prayer helps and by the grace of God, I KNOW we will all get through this somehow.

Thank you in advance,

Holly

Radiation can be used to help shrink tumors and also for pain. My husband received radiation for both, and did get shrinkage of tumors from his radiation. However, he thought it didn't help his pain that much. I'm sure all the results from treatment are individual. Whatever is ahead for your mother, she will do great having your support. It is a tough battle, sep you for since your pregnant. But, that is also a reason for your mother to fight this so hard. God bless you both, Nancy C

Holly...so sorry to hear about your Mom's daignosis. My husband Bob was diagnosed in March with bone mets...he had his rib,spine and hip radiated in april as that is where the pain was...he then started chemo in may. He just finished his first round of chemo and now his left hip is bothering him so they start radiating it tommorrow. So our experience is they radiate the bones for pain control....hope that his experience gives you more info on what others are doing. He did his first radiation in Houston at MD Anderson and returned home for chemo...his oncologist here agreed with what was done down there so I'm assuming that is pretty standard. There are others on this board with bone mets so hopefully they'll chime in but if you read there bio's you can get an idea....Diane

Hi, Holly, and welcome! My wife has had multiple bone mets, treated with chemo and radiation. Her oncologist recommends radiation only if there is severe pain in the area and/or there is threatened bone integrity (fracture, etc.). This is because radiation can only be done once in an area due to damage of the area from the radiation. For bone mets not causing pain or threat of bone integrity, her onc uses chemo. Hope this info helps. My wife is a 3-year survivor of Stage IV LC. Don

Hi Holly.

I am a lllb survivor, but no bone mets so can't help you out there. I surely do want to welcome both you and your Mom. If there is anything that you can think of that you want to know about, there is a strong possibility that at least one of us will be able to help you through.

It is overwhelming at first. But, don't be shy.

Knowledge is power! Glean as much as you can!

Cindi o'h

Holly, what a lot to handle, all at once. I can't add much in the way of actual guidance, but I know others' experience here will help. I can support you and tell you that you have a bunch of new, somewhat wacky buddies here to see you through this...and wait for those baby pictures!!!

hang in there, girl.

xoxo

bunny

Holly, my husband had mets to his spine and the only thing that seemed to ever help the pain from the mets was radiation. I hope your mom does well with the treatment and gets great results! You take care of yourself and that baby!

Holly,

My husband also had bone mets. Although the mets were extensive and in many bones, the only ones they radiated were the ones that caused pain - left shoulder and left hip. Both times the pain began to get better after about 6-8 days of radiation, and stayed away. Chemo is used to hopefully get rid of, or control, bone mets.

Hope this helps.

Love,

Peggy

Hi Holly,

My husband had some radiation to his left rib-cage to alleviate pain from mets to the ribs. The pain subsided about a week after he began treatment and he was able to go without any of his breakthru pain medication (which he had been in need of two-three times daily). Unfortunately, as the radiologist informed us, the radiation can help for a few days only, or it can last a year...in our case, the pain returned after about a month of relief. Good luck to your mother and especially good luck with your new baby.