Possible recurrence?

Don M

A few years ago (before lc) I would not have had any concern about blood spots showing up in my sputum. Now I do. I coughed up some blood-streaked sputum yesterday and today. I made an appointment with my pulmonologist tomorrow to look into it. I am hoping it is just some capillaries bursting open as a result of the blood thinners I have been taking. My fear is that there is something going on with my bronchial stump. I hope it is not a recurrence. I guess I will know more later. Yeah, a little bit of blood in my spit worries me now. I will be grateful for your prayers.

Don M

Don,

All my prayers are being said for you. I know you will let us all know what is going on when you find out...until then, I'll be thinking of you and saying a prayer that you find some peace of mind thru your worrying!

Okay Donald, this is NOT the news I was expecting to hear from YOU my DEAR!! Nope, nope nope!! :roll:

I'm not happy to hear this, but I know your not to crazy to be going through this right now either! :evil:

(((((((((((((DON))))))))))))))

Okay my friend, I'm closing my eyes RIGHT NOW and saying my prayers for you.

Hang in there, and let us know as soon as you hear something PLEASE??

Hugs,

Connie

You have my prayers, Don. I'm crossing my fingers and toes, too, that this turns out to be something like the blood thinners, or irritation from something you can easily avoid. But if it turns out to be something on the bronchial stump, just remember that last year I had a good size growth on my right bronchial stump and the subcarina, and after 33 radiation treatments those masses were gone and they haven't come back. I don't want you to have to deal with a recurrence, but I DO want you to know that if it does happen there are things that can be done to help.

If good wishes alone could spare you then you would definitely be spared, my friend.

Hang in there...

I went to see my pulmonologist today. I brought in the films from my last ct scan from a month ago and we went over them. The radiologist had pronounced them clean a month ago. The pulmonologist went over the films with me. I told him I was worried about the bronchial stump. He said that if there was anything wrong in terms of a malignancy at the bronchial stump, it would show up in the scan and also that it was still current enough. He is a very good pulmonogist and is good at interpreting the films. He concurred with the radiologist that the entire scan was clean.

He also said that bloody spit is not uncommon, that many times we may swallow it without knowing that it had blood spots. He said that the blood could be from blood thinners. He said that if it continues for another 2 or 3 weeks to come back in and he would do a bronchoscopy to see if he could find anything. In the meantime, I will stay away from blood thinners for a while. I have not taken any since the day before yesterday, when I first saw the blood. I coughed up a very small spot today. It seems to be dissipating.

I felt very relieved after talking to the doc and going over the films. I am not worried about it now, but will watch my spit with interest. I guess these little gobs of spit really threw me for a while.

I am especially grateful to you all for your prayers and support. It really makes a difference. It made me feel good and comforted to read your responses. Thanks again.

Don M

Sorry Don that I somehow missed your post from Monday.

But I am elated at what the Pul. doc told you. You must be relieved.

It seems like every little occurance, brings back that fear all over again. I am sorry you went through this. I know everything is alright.

Thinking of you, Don..

Maryanne

Don,

I don't know how I missed this before, but I'm glad I saw it now. I think you should feel much better after talking to your doctor. Mike did have recurrence in the bronchial stump and he did have blood, but IT DID SHOW ON CT SCAN. It however, did not show on xray. This is a point that I like to share with everyone, that they want to make sure they get periodically checked with CT and not just Xray. Mike's recurrence happened after 3 years and at that point the doc was doing just xrays. The x ray didn't catch it.

Keeping you in my prayers and having very positive thoughts. My parents are both on blood thinners and from time to time have blood in sputum, sometimes from nose and also blood in urine. It can happen. God Bless.

Love,

Sue