Mom's home

StarrC

Just wanted to let you all know that I brought mom home yesterday. After looking into a few nursing facilities, I decided to bring her home where she will be comfortable. I talked with Hospice and they will have a nurse come in twice a week and a CNA every other day to bath her. I know that the road will be rough whereas I am the only caregiver but her doctor tells me that she will be in God's arms within a month. I pray that I have the strength and courage to do this on my own. If anyone has any tips or words of advise as to how to care for her by myself it would be greatly appreciated. Little things like repositioning her is very difficult with one person. Also, she has swelling in her right arm which I'm told is due to the tumor pressing against her artery. Have any of you heard of this and if so, how painfull will it be for her?

Thanks again for your support.

Starr

Starr,

I can't give you words of advice because we had full time help with Daddy.... what I can tell you is that you are a wonderful daughter to do this for your Mom on your own. I will pray for you daily that God gives you the strength you will need for these next few weeks... they will be hard weeks, but weeks that will be filled with memories that will help you get through your Moms passing... you will rest easier knowing you did everything humanly possible to make her remaining days with you the best they could be... You are truly an inspiration.

Starr, first of all let me be the first one to assure you that you can do this. I know that it seems impossible and unthinkable that you have the inner strength to get through this. I know, as I have been there with my husband. I also had Hospice and the time schedules were the same as yours. You have to dig deep into your inner self and take a lot of long, deep breaths. There will be times when you just want to scream and that's OK to do. When someone is there to give you a rest, just get in the car, crank up the music, roll up the windows and scream. It's amazing how therapeutic this can really be. As far as turning your mom alone, Hospice will have some good tips and tricks that will help you. I always kept a folded sheet under Dennis. If you pull on one side of the sheet, it helps to reposition the patient. Set up a tv table close your moms' bed and keep things you need there in one place. It will save your legs a lot of running. Find yourself a comfortable chair and put it in the room with your moms' bed. You will find that it's easier to relax if you're able to keep an eye on her at the same time. After going through this, I have many tips so please don't be hesitant to PM me if you need to talk. I think you are being a very brave and loving daughter. It is so sweet of you to bring your mom home and care for her and allow her to be where she most wants to be. I'm saying big time prayers for both of you!

The bedsheet idea will be a big help and the great thing that we found with hospice is that they will SHOW YOU how to do things. Take notes, and ask lots of questions.

Above all know that YOU CAN DO THIS. It will hurt. It will be hard. It will be awful sometimes. But it will also be a blessing to you both.

Your Mom is so lucky to have someone who loves her as much as you do.

We're here to listen and to support you.

Starr, it may seem the work ahead of you is so overwhelming, but you will have help. You will have a greater spirit next to you for you and your mother. You will know what to do, when to do it, and what is best for your mother. God will give you all the strenght you need. You are a strong person, and you are doing this out of love. It will be tiring, very exhasuting, and mentally draining. But you can and will do...out of the great love you have for your mother. God bless,Nancy C

You are in fr an emotionally rough ride but it can be done.

God bless Hospice, they will show you how to do everything from repositioning your mother to managing her meds.

When this is over you will be glad you chose to keep her home.

Good luck and God bless you and your mother.

Kathy