40 yrs old, nsclc stage IIIA, inoperable, need support

kimblanchard

I'm coming late to this due to home computer issues, but you are so welcome here. my mom has LC, and there seems to be no way around the waiting fear for her. even when she was NED for so long, the regular checks were an emotional rollar coaster. so we understand.

that said, if you feel there's more you want from your doc you should express it to her/him. my mom's surgeon explained to us that the wait wasn't so much a 'gamble', as an opportunity for the disease to declare its intentions so we could formulate a response. still SO SCARY, but that's how it was explained to us.

there's tons of great advice and support here.

I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

xoxo

bunny

Welcome, Vicky!

I've been away from the board most of the past week - in-laws visiting - or I'd have said welcome sooner!

The results you've had so far seem terrific! 75% reduction! :D I think you probably have lots to feel optimistic about. Read things in our "inspiration" section, share thoughts with people here, and make a commitment to yourself that, even though it's not easy to do yet, you'll make the most of every day.

You might be looking back on these days 10 years from now, like Connie, and thinking, "If I'd only known, I wouldn't have wasted so much time worrying and thinking about what the future might hold." I think the advice to throw yourself into life as fully as you can is the best. It will get easier as time goes on and the newness and strangeness this situation wears off. Hang in there and visit often!

Leslie

Dear Vicky,

Welcome, sorry you had to come here.

It seems like all I do is wait, for one thing or another with cancer. I have CT scans every 6 weeks, just when I think I am adjusted the next one is imminent. Hope your appt went well yesterday. I know exactly what you mean when you say without chemo/rad you are not doing anything. As others have posted you might consider a 2nd opinion.

I constantly invent distraction, with 2 kids, I doubt you need to.

Keep us posted.

joyce

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Vicki,

We are in the same boat, my Mum was dx with stage 4 lung cancer in march of this year, she has finished her chemo 4 weeks ago and now has to wait 3 months too! The good news is that she is in remission from the lung cancer but still has the bone mets...they are stable. We have decided to give mum the best months (years :?::D ) possible just in case this nasty beast comes back more aggressive.

Hang in there and just have the bestest time ever during this wait and see...enjoy your family, friends and loved ones as much as possible...Have a great time :!:

I had two lymph nodes that kept showing up on my CT scans and Pet scans. I had the same chemo that you had. I also had radiation for six weeks. To make a long story short, on the surgery table they checked my lymph nodes and they were negative so I was able to have the surgrery. Hopefully chemo will clean your lymph nodes so that you too can have surgery. From what I understand there is a limit on the amount of radiation that you can have before surgery. BLESSINGS!!!

Carol