Temperature

Angie

How serious is a temp during chemo? My dad's doctor said to call if he developed a temp. Hopefully it's just a cold as he is coughing (painfully) and sneezing. His lung x-ray looked good today, but will be going in for more tests tomorrow. Cell counts good, platelets very low. Possibly some type of infection? Anyone experienced this? Is this serious?

Appreciate any input...thanks!

Hi,

A tempature with any fom of cancer is serious. My mom's oncologist told her to page him and/or go to the ER if she could not get a hold of him if her tempature rose above 100.3.he said that a tempature is usually a sure sign of infection while on chemotherapy, because it lowers your white blood cells, and they fight off infections. So I would go by that rule of thumb...

Jonathan

When I was in chemo treatment, I was told to take my temp at least once a day. Anything close to 100.5 and I was to call or just go to ER. I would definitely follow that rule, because any infection can mess up the best of plans.

Good luck,

Margaret

My mom was told any temperature above 100.4 to call her oncologist or go to the emergency room right away. It can be a sign of infection. My mom has been admitted to the hospital twice with temperatures. They gave her IV antibiotics to clear up the infections.

Angie,

I was told a fever (100.4) was potentially life-threatening. It was VERY serious. And as everyone else has said, it requires immediate treatment!

It always amazes me that people undergoing chemo go out into large crowds (not even wearing masks)! It's just plain stupid to do that! Whatever event is taking place, it is not worth anyone's life to attend.

Consider a fever as VERY SERIOUS!!!!

JudyB

My dad is in the hospital now with a temp ranging from 99 to 101. He is being watched very carefully and the doctors have delayed his chemo until the temp is lowered. Keep an eye on the temp. It is very important.

Thank you all so much for your responses. Fortunately, my dad's temp lasted just two days. The doctors were watching him carefully, but thought it was probably from his cold. He has a lot of congestion and has been prescribed a heavy dose of Pretizone for seven days. Will meet with his doctor on Wednesday.