MY HUSBAND FROM CANDY

Guest Estrea

Guest Estrea

care

Posted: 05 Mar 2003 09:03 pm    Post subject: my husband with lung cancer

------------------------------------------------------------------------

My husband and I are very scared. Last April 2002 my husband had throat cancer and with 40 radiation treatments at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, they were able to shrink it entirely. With several bad months of recovery we though we were on our way to normal life and happiness again. Then in January he got cancer in his left elbow of the bone of course and they did surgery and got that but at the same time we found out that his original squamous cell cancer of the throat had metastasize to his elbow and lungs. The elbow they fixed but he has 9 tumors in both lungs. I am so scared for him because he has not been fully recovered from the radiation treatment and is not yet up to par from that just barely. The doctors here where we live in Kansas are starting him on chemo cisplatin, 5fu and taxol. This is a study for metastazie head and neck squamous cell cancer. They said it is very aggressive and I hate for him to be reall sick again but we have to fight this again together. As I told him before united we stand divided we fall. Has anyone every survived this kind of treatment of cancer. The doctors say is is incurable but he has a 50% chance of partail remission or full remission. HElp candyBack to top

Connie B

Posted: 05 Mar 2003 09:23 pm    Post subject:

Dear Candy,

Oh I am soo very sorry to hear the news of your husband. However, I do have to tell you that he does NOT have lung cancer, rather he has throat cancer that has spread to the lung, and that is not the same as lung cancer. Confusing I know! He will not be treated the same as a lung cancer patient. Have you looked for a Throat cancer support group?

I can't help you my dear, and I am sorry. I don't know how they will treat him.

God Bless and Good luck to you both!

Warm and Gentle Hugs,

Connie B.

(Dx.d, 1995, Adeno, Stage IIIA-B, Left Lung Removed, Chemo, Rad, Cancer Free. Lost my Father, Mother and Sister to Lung Cancer)Back to top

David P

Posted: 06 Mar 2003 01:11 am    Post subject: Hello

Hello Candy. My name is David and as a newly appointed co-moderator

of this "newcomers" forum, I would like to welcome you to this message board. We may not be able to help you with information about your husband's cancer or the treatment he is, or should be receiving, but we can certainly give you moral support, and send some prayers your way. We have a very caring bunch here, and as you will find out, and also a "care givers" forum that you can touch base with others in dealing with cancer as it relates to loved ones, and the similar care that is afforded to all cancer patients, no matter what type it is. I searched for cancer support groups in your area and found that there is an extensive cancer research clinic and information facility at the University of Kansas Medical Center. You're probably already in contact with them. I'm sorry to hear your husband is having such a rough time of it. I did not require any chemo or radiation when my left lung was removed 26 years ago, but there may be others here who can give you some advice on how your husband can deal with all of his chemo treatments. By the way, 50% chance of partial, or full remission is good odds when you're dealing with cancer. Be strong and full of hope.So long for now,

David Piercy

Left Pneumonectomy 1977.

No chemo, no rad.

Positive attitude and exercise rules!!Back to top

Karma1976

Posted: 06 Mar 2003 08:31 am    Post subject:

Candy My dad had mouth and throat cancer 10 years ago and now has stage IV lung cancer that has met to his bones. We were lucky enough to have a huge space in between...i also think it made us think that hey he had cancer he beat it it is all over. which obviously we are all still getting used to right now, including him! I am sorry to hear like everyone else you had to find this board but it is true that you will find support and advice from some really great people. PLease keep us posted!!! And keep both your chins up

Dad: Stage IV NSCLC with Met to bones.

mouth and throat cancer survivor for over 10 years.Back to top

Laurie

Posted: 06 Mar 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Welcome

Hi Candy,

Welcome to the boards, I am sorry to hear of your husbands LC and I pray for you and your husbands strength. I hope that you will find comfort here as I have. You are not alone and are among friends.

PS.. I lived in Overland Park Kansas for a little while.. and I have always said that i have never met so many nice people as when i lived there.. besides the message boards.. of course

Laurie

Dear Candy,

I just want to clarify something regarding your husbands throat cancer.

I am not trying to sound like you are not welcomed here in any way shape or form, however, I also don't want you to be mislead regarding your husbands cancer treatments. What we deal with on this board with our treatments will NOT be the same as how your husband's may be treated, being that lung cancer is NOT his primary tumor. So, I wouldn't want any mishaps for your husbands treatments to be comfused with lung cancer treatments.

I do with all my heart hope things work out well for you and your husband.

And if you need support, please by all means feel free to stay with us.

Warm and Gentle Hugs,