Mom Diagnosed NSCLC IV

hollyanne

Hi -

Many of you have responded to questions I have posed already. I can't thank you enough. My mom is a 71 year old non-smoker who is the most health conscious person I know - the diagnosis was a horrendous shock as she was having back pain....never though it would be cancer, much less lung cancer.

To make matters very bitter sweet, I am having her first grandchild in December....she has been waiting a lot of years (I am 38!)....my mom is truly my best friend in the world.

I so desperately want to make things better for both her and my dad -- a feeling I am sure that all caregivers/family members can relate to. The absolute best advice (besides counting on God to get us all through this) that I have gotten is truly one day at a time...the prospects of looking far ahead seem just too overwhleming. I pray that I will have the strength to deal with whatever, whenever I face it...versus trying to predict the future now.

Thank you so much for the support.

With love,

Holly

Holly, we are almost to October, so December is not that far away. There are many survivors here, including my wife, who have seen years since diagnosis.

Mky wife is also a non-smoker. I believe 20% of women who get lung cancer never smoked. I believe it is something in the air, plus the genetic susceptibility. Hang in there. Don

Hi Holly,

It is a tremendous shock! My dad quit smoking 20 years ago and he still got lung cancer! He is 75, and has NEVER had any health problems before! I want so desperately for my dad to see me get married one day...(I am 28)

A year ago, when my dad was diagnosed I thought..."is he going to make it to Christmas?" We often think that lung cancer kills us right away. Although sometimes it does but there are also sooooo many survivors out there (including my dad who has made it to the one year mark). So you have to hang in there! Good luck and stay positive!!!

love jorja

Holly, it's good to hear from you again. keep the faith, December is just around the corner and your mom sounds like a real fighter! besides, I'm sure she's tickled you're pregnant - the moment is beautiful, too, is what I mean.

keep us posted, and we'll keep you in our thoughts.

xoxo

bunny

Hi Holly: I know I was shocked at my diagnosis. I still have a hard time believing it, even though I have accepted it. I guess I had to take their word for it. Congratulations on your impending motherhood and tell your mom that she will make a wonderful grandma. I just became a grandpa myself 8 months ago. There are many treatment options for stage 4 lc. There is hope for years of survival.

Don M

Holly,

I *feel* the love and concern in your words and pray that things go well for your mom. I know it's such a scary process. My mom is newly dx'd and we also are trying to take one day at a time and enjoy every single precious moment.

Hang in there and please keep the thought that this board is a wonderful, caring place for support and super people!

Gentle hugs, Holly

Libby

Holly,

Congradulations of your first baby! I know how difficult it is when you have to mix such wonderful news with the bad. My husband was just dx with nsclc stage IV a couple months ago. He is also expecting two grandchildren. With God watching over us I plan to be delivering them both right here in our home!

Don't forget to take care of yourself while you are caring for others during this time.