Getting to Know You - October 3

Ann

When my beautiful Daddy as diagnosed with NSCLC in December of 2001, I was on a mission to find something, anything to save him. I came across this site way back then, when it was just an unstructured sort of message board, so to speak. I remember certain members were here then, like Fay A., ConnieB I think Kerrytoo. Probably a few others I don't recall. When I moved from NYC to FLA. in December of 2003, I lost the link to that board (this board) and forgot all about it's existance (I had so very many things bookmarked, my brain was on overload). When I finally remembered I searched for it again and reconnected around September 2003, shortly before my Dad's death in March 2004. I am so disspointed I didn't find LCSC again much sooner. This site had evolved into such a wonderful, caring support group, thanks to the efforts of Katie and Rick and Connie and all the other behind the scenes. I couldn't believe it. It would have been such a great source of support for me those 9 months without it, as it has been from the day I reconnected until the present. That's my LCSC story.

I came here for different reasons than all of you. I ended up staying for all of the same reasons you have.

I didn't come here until nearly a year after my Johnny died. I was still very angry. I knew how badly he had been treated and I wanted to get the word out that things like that do happen. I was just so angry.

After I was here for a while I had to face the aniversary of the weeks leading up to Johnny's death and all of the painfull memories that went with them. By being able to come here when I felt like I just couldn't face another day I was able to hold on. I got thorough those days and the first aniversary of his death. It was the wonderful people here who gave me the strength and courage to face each day. When I needed to cry someone was there with a long distance hug. There was always someone willing to encourage me. Reading about everyone elses pain and problems somehow made mine easier to live with.

I have days still that are bad. On some of those days I come here for comfort. Others I can't come here because I can't face anyone elses pain. I do try to come often. My work keeps me away a lot of the time but I have a little more free time now that the days are getting shorter. It is my hope that in some small way I can repay the kindness and help that I recieved when I was so desperate.

I got here while I was googling for lung cancer survivors. I have probed the internet for about two months prior for some sort of exhaustive and informative site about lung cancer, specifically dealing with firsthand experiences and thankfully I found this. I really intend to be an advocate for dad and be knowledgeable in all the possible treatment options for him. This community is probably the best thing about my dad's diagnosis, and so I am really grateful.

• 2 weeks later...