New To All This

Guest Nicoletta8

Guest Nicoletta8

My name is Nikki and my dad was just diagnosed with stage iv cancer which started in his lung and has metastasized to his bones (femur, pelvis, spine & ribs). The doctor basically said he could do chemo which would buy him 2-3 months or call hospice. My dad decided against chemo (his choice which we support). He had no symptoms other than pain in his hip and leg area. This was a complete shock to all of us and I still don't really know what to think, feel or act. Luckily my husband and I live very close to my parents and can be there for them. I am so glad I found this board where I can ask questions and talk with others who are in similar situations. Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and get familiar with the ways of the board. Thanks.

Nikki

Welcome Nikki~

I am an only child too. In addition to my husband, my MIL also has NSCLC. She decided she did not want chemo but she did do radiation. She has had no problems at all and it has bought her some time. She is 84 so maybe your dad would consider radiation. You could also ask about Tarceva, which is a pill.

Good luck.

Rochelle

Nikki, I am so sorry to hear about your dad. You must be so scared and confused right now. The terrific people here will help you through!! I don't have much experience or wisdom to share, as we are new to this as well.

I hope that we can help!

Hi Nikki. So sorry you are dealing with cancer in your life. This is the best place to be for information, support and lots of hugs. Just jump right in and join our wonderful group of friends.

My wife is home and going to school. She takes a pill form of Etopocide. Might be something to think about. No trips to hospital for chemo. Just a thought though. Good luck and hope we can help

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nikki,

I can completely relate to what you're dealing with. I just lost my dad. He was stage iv as well with cancer in the bones and liver. Don't worry about knowing what to feel. You are probably still in shock. I would just advise you to spend as much time with your dad as possible, tell him how much you love him and cram in as much love as possible. Sounds like you've got a rough road ahead of you. Also, it may be difficult, but you need to have some tough discussions with your dad about ventilators, extraordinary means, etc. I'm sorry to bring this up, but my dad went so quickly, we never had time to learn his wishes and had to guess what he would want. I think we did the right thing, but it would've been much easier to know for sure what Dad would've wanted.

I'll pray for your family and for strength for you all to get through this ordeal.

Nikki,

this is such a hard blow to deal with..but as everyone said..be with him as much as possible..love, laugh and make those lasting memories... take pictures and talk about other better, happier times that he remembers..have him tell stories if he is up to it, of your youth and what mean the most to him. make sure to check into hospice around you. Interview them and find the one that is right for your Dad.

Sending you hugs of comfort and courage..

Stephi