Back from Radiologist

eppie

Ok, The node (and he has many in both lungs) they biopsied was not cancerous. This is one from the other side of lung. The Radiologist says the only way to rule out which nodes are or aren;t is by PET scan.

They can not do the PET scan during chemo. ?????

Do they normally do PET scans two months after chemo like she's saying? They can't do radiation if they don't know what to shoot rays at so....

I have lots of questions....I have to sort what is most important to know. One is has anyone had news like this?

Two) This could impact staging but does it impact current chemo treatment?

Three) Can he have a bone scan during chemo?

I am sure hoping for no mets outside the lung. But shouldn't we already know this or does diagnosotic information come in piecemeal like this? That plural efflusion is scary stuff. Can you be stage IIB with plural efflusion? WOuldn"t that be a better prognosis? THis doc said ---now I hate saying this ---he has a 15% survival rate at stage iiib over 5 years. Hell, I'll take that but I am greeedy. I want better.

I'll post more once I process this info.

I am wanting to hear the good news.....I mean imagine if they biopsied the only non cancerous nodule he has? What does that mean? I hate to imagine....must go to the gym.

Dang, you've got a lot going on! I don't know any answers to the medical questions, but I want to echo the advice to ignore the statistics. We aren't living in a world of rose-colored glasses, but we know that statistics are just numbers--and outdated ones at that.

Take care of yourself!

:) Kelly

My knowledge of Pet Scans is this. They put in a radioactive dye in sugar water, shoot it into a vein and then wait for the tumor or whatever to start sucking up all the sugar water as it eats. On the Pet Scan I saw some really heavy coloring where the Tumor was. With Carbo/Taxol it is supposed to attack cells that are rapidly dividing (EATING) and kill them. If this is the case the cancer cells won't shine like they should if there was nothing killing them. Not sure if this helps any. I took the Pet scan after they had done a bronchoscopy to determine what was blocking the bronch tube. So it may be more than just the chemo stopping them right now. As for Radiation my Rad Onc says they need to focus as much as possible on the bad spots and leave as much of the good spots alone so they don't kill all the cells, just the cancer ones.

Prayers to all.

Ralph

Prayers for your Dad. Don't worry too much, this doesn't accomplish anything. I remember prior posts that your dad is strong. He'll get thru this. Others on the board will have more info on the specific questions you've asked - just offering support to you and your family.

Joanie ((()))

I am puzzled about the PET and chemo. Lucie is to get a PET scan after her third of six cycles, as we understand it. And we know of people who have had PETs during chemo. So I would tend to want to inquire further into this -- why not a PET. I know because of med insurance, that PET scans, very expensive, are not done frequently usually. Don

Reading your words is like a soothing balm on my aching mind. Thanks Ralph for the explanation and Don, too. I with you and not buying this attidude about insurence.

My quesion remains does knowing more change how we treat this beast?

My money is on the impulse to get more info. Shouldn't he have bone scans? That would determiine if it has moved out of the lung. I am worried about how will they know whter or not he has brain mets. I am trying to gather my rationale before mentioning anything to Dad, of course. The gamble is to stay the course and see if there is a reponse. We're still very early in the treatment.

I should call his ONc. I like to have a list of questions.

Good night and prayers to all on this list seeking hope and strength,

Helling thoughts and love to all,

eppie

Eppie, I bet the folks in the Ask the Experts forums could give you an idea of whether or not a PET scan would be a good thing to do right now, and what other tests might help.

Don't think about those stats. Your Dad is your Dad and NOT a statistic. People fare better than numbers. There is HOPE! There is always, always HOPE.

Eppie, I think that you are smart to ask questions and get all the information that you can. It may not change anything, but it will ease your mind, and you will know that you and the doctors are doing everything they can for your dad.

We have not even been told statistics..and I don't think I want to be. I would rather do everything we can as best as we can...and hope that we do better than what anyone would ever expect!

Hang in there...I am so glad that everyones responses have eased your mind somewhat.

thanks all,

Dad went back to the Radiologist today and they are going to do a PET scan and Brain MRI tomorrow. We just have to know more about this cancer. Pathology on the node they removed and the other bit they took off a tumor came back benign......where is this cancer coming from? Where is it metasisizing to? These things must be known.

I am glad they are listening to him and doing what they can to help.

In other news.....hubs stayed home sick with flu like symptoms.....I am odering Tamiflu from my doc and ordering him to quarrantine.....I am going to Texas this weekend and I AM NOT bring the flu with me. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Much love and healing energy to all those in need and strength to the all in battle with this beast.....

Eppie

Eppie,

I'm wondering why they staged him at IIIb at diagnosis? Is it because he had the nodules in both lungs? I may have missed this info in a previous post, sorry.

Is his pleural effusion malignant? If not, then his stage may not be IIIb. I was diagnosed with a primary tumor in my right lung and a malignant pleural effusion 2 1/2 years ago. I'm still here and doing pretty well.

If he is truly at stage IIIb and they are treating him with Taxol/Carbo, then he is getting systemic chemo, meaning it is attacking any cancer cells that may be around in any part of the body. In fact, my doctor says they prefer not to do PET scans at my stage (which is now stage IV) because it would not change the course of treatment.

I think your dad will do well, he sounds like he is very strong, and has you giving him great support.

TAnn

tANN

I was just praying that you'd contact me...and you did.

I do believe that it was the nodes in both lungs. + the plural efflusions that warranted the stage iiib. I will in Houston next week so if you want to talk to us we;d love to hear from you. 401-2585995 cell phone. Cancer cells were found in the liquid they drained. so far I have no idea what kind of cells they found. The onc two weeks ago was guessing with squamous. could be anything. They feel it is a very aggressive growing type. There is no firm idea which or what or where the primary is right now. I want to know....he wants to know because if he is incorrectly staged....resection after chemo in best case....radation to primary concurrently....or just chemo like you said...makes no difference in treatment. I just want to know if we have mets to other places. It all goes with being aggressive and kicking this thing in the *ss and making the cancer go away.

I am wondering about this whole situation. questions like how do they really know it is a carcinoma?

Eppie,

I'm glad I saw your post & am able to help.

If they found cancerous cells in the fluid from the pleural effusion, this is a malignant pleural effusion and an automatic stage IIIb. It is inoperable because the pleural effusion is considered a part of the circulatory system and microscopic cancer cells could be anywhere in the body. It is usually treated with chemo, which sometimes shrinks the effusion and like your dad had, the talc procedure. However, it does not cure the malignant pleural effusion, even if the effusion is gone.

In my case, they did the pathology on the fluid and discovered the nsclc Adenocarcinoma cells and was how I was diagnosed.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions that I can help you with.

TAnn