Question about white count

troy

I have not posted here in a while. My mother (55) was diagnosed in June with SCLC EXT. She has been taking chemo ever since. After her first 6 treatments she had a PET/CAT scan done. The scans showed significant shrinking or complete resolvement of all her tumors or spots. She basically has one main tumor and it showed 50% shrinkage there. This was great news. She has continued on the same treatment path. My question has to do with her sickness after her treatments. At first, she would only be sick for 1-2 days following. Now it is 3-4 days. Is this the chemo taking its toll or what?? Also, today which would be her 12th treatment, she her DR would not give it to her because her White Count had dropped some. She recieved a shot instead to increase her white count. Until today, her count was always very high and the DR seemed amazed at how she was doing. She has gained 6 lbs. since her treatments began. My question is does this sound normal for her counts to drop some and should she be getting sicker from the treatments. The DR was not concerned at all according to my mother- but sometimes I wonder if my Mom is telling us everything. Should I be worried or is this normal? Thank you

Troy,

It is very very normal now that the chemo has "built up". She probably got a Neulasta shot (you may have seen their commercials where people are saying "I'm ready to fight my cancer"). Chemo wipes out the good and bad stuff, so it so very normal to have low white blood counts. Dr. just wants them up so that she is not at risk for infection and strong enough to take her next treatment. My mom had to skip a treatment here and there too bc of low white blood counts. Take care of each other!!

I have heard that later chemotherapy rounds can be worse than the earlier ones. I don't have a biological explanation for it, however. You might try posting in Ask the Experts for an opinion from Dr. Cunningham.

I have also had patients tell me that the later rounds are easier just because they know what to expect. The response of the white count to chemotherapy (and other side effects) typically does happen after the first few rounds. But why the timing for your mother occurred just as it did, I doubt anyone really knows. There seems to be a good degree of leeway is what is "normal."

It is important to remember that drugs like Neupogen, that raise blood counts, do not work immediately. Be patient and her counts will rise again. (I know that is easier said than done.)

Best wishes to you and your mother, Teresa

I agree with Lori.

Chemo is cumulative. It got a bit harder for me as time went on.

Even though I had to stop a couple times for a blood transfusion, the oncologist insisted I was handling treatments remarkably well.

Hang in there. Sometimes those shots will give a person bone pain, if I am thinking right.

Cindi o'h

My wife recieve's shot's all the time for low WBC and is normal after a period of time on her specific Chemo Combo which is CPT11 and Taxol. And like the other's have said Chemo has a culmalative effect. Different types of Chemo have different causes such as when my wife was on Topotecan it caused her RBC to go too low and recieved transfusion's twice.So it sound's like your Mother is doing really good and so glad of the result's she is getting.....

Thank you all for your replies. I will be sure to relay all of the info. to my family. Everyone I have talked to today said that it was common for that to happen. It is just nice to here it from others. My prayers are with all of you. This board gives me so much inspiration. I tell my family about CindyRN a lot. I read your story at least 2 times a week. I dont want to put any added burden on any of you, but your stories really help and give me strength and hope. Thank you all

TROY

By the way, I know my profile says I joined this board today, but I have been a member since June. I forgot my password this morning so I had to register again because I have also changed my email address. My former USER name was TROY MARTIN. I had said earlier that I had not posted here in a while. I just wanted to clear that up because my profile says only 2 posts. Thank you again.