I have lost my dad....

bronbear

Just wanted to post that my dad lost his very brave battle against this horrible disease on October 4, 2005 about 8:00 p.m. My mom and I were with him the entire time. It was the most horrible thing I have ever had to watch in my entire life. He was so restless and he was starting to be in pain. He had developed colitis from all of the antibiotics and he was curling up in a fetal position to find relief. We had the doctors give him morphine so that he could have some comfort. He drifted into a deep sleep and for the first time in months, he was snoring away like he used to do. He passed away peacefully and it was over. I still can't believe he is gone. He was only 67 years old and he was the best father I could ever ask for. Now my two kids have lost their beloved "Poppy" to this awful disease. When he died, he was 122 pounds. This disease took everything from my dad - his dignity, his weight, his strength, his very ability to breathe to where he had to use oxygen the last four months of his life. He hated using that oxygen and that was the first thing I removed from him after he passed - that horrible tubing that made him so embarrassed to be out in public. My dad was a good man and I will miss him for the rest of my life. I don't understand why something can't be done about this horrible disease - it took his whole family - his dad and his two brothers. I will never understand why good people are taken from us way too soon. Thanks to all of you who have supported me on this site. I am so grateful that I found it and I will continue to try to help other people on here and support them as I have been supported. God bless all of you and I hope you will be victorious in the fight against this disease. I don't want my dad's death to be in vain.

..for your loss. I know this hurts so much. But what cancer didn't take from your Father was...

"Cancer is so limited.....it cannot cripple Love, it cannot shatter Hope, it cannot corrode Faith, it cannot destroy Peace, it cannot kill Friendship, it cannot suppress Memories, it cannot silence Courage, it cannot invade the Soul, it cannot steal eternal Life, it cannot conquer the Spirit." (author unknown)

God bless you, and give you peace and comfort,Nancy C

Also, the minister at my husband's funeral said that people who die at a young age are "high achievers, they have finished God's plan faster than the rest of us."

This gave me some comfort, as my husband was only 53, and I like you.....wanted to know "why" was he taken from me at such a young age. Bless you, Nancy

May you find comfort in memories of your dad -- the special times. I am so sorry for your loss and share in your pain. When I am really missing my dad (which I seem to have been thinking of him so much lately), I start remembering the special times and how he raised me to be strong. I made promises to him before he passed away and strive to achieve those. I think he helps keep me focused. Sometimes you truly feel their guardian angel presence. Seemed like I had car problems right after my dad passed away and the few times I was stranded, I was always in a safe place. I just had to smile and thank my dad as he was a fanatic about maintaining his car. I felt that he kept me safe from harm. You will find warm thoughts in the days ahead that will make you feel close to him again. Hang onto those warm memories and they will give you some peace and comfort. May God comfort you and your family.

I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your Dad...but please believe you haven't lost everything as everything that your Dad ever taught you is now part of you and part of your children. When I lost my Dad, I didn't even get to say goodbye while he was alert as I arrived after he had gone into a coma, but I believe he heard everything I had to say. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do....to say goodbye to the greatest man I had ever known, but now I do truly feel him aroung me at special times...especially with my mum now going through lung cancer...and I know he is always near.

You are in my prayers and thoughts.

Take care.

I am so very very sorry for your loss. I can not imagine what it was like for you to go through this orderal. At least your Dad is at peace and no longer suffers from the beast. I will pray that as time goes by your heart will heal a little as I know it will never heal completely.

Debbie

Husband Alan DX with small cell lung cancer Jan 10th 2005