Radiation Newbies

KatieB

So I guess Radiation will now be an option for my dad to alleviate his new mets. We don't have the appointment with the Rad. Doc until Monday. What should we ask about?

My main concern...Dad is very weak. Has been weak and fatigued from the first round of cisplatin/etoposide he had from Oct-Dec 2002. The three month break (Jan-Mar 2003) did little to rejuvenate him...then the 4 months of Topotecan (Mar-July 2003). He's not strong. Can he survive going thru Radiation?

DON'T FORGET, he has the "suspicious" activity going on in his liver TOO, (Maybe more mets, maybe tumor growing) that's another issue we will have to visit soon.

Guess I need to wait until we have a new gameplan..Right now, not knowing is killing us.

Hay girl,

I was at my Rad. today and let me tell you it was not nearly as bad as all the things i read. I asked about geting tired and he said he really doupts it the only side effect I will get is MORE hair loss and some irritation on the head. But dont forget this is for my head. He was VERY optimistic about it taking care of it all the way. Dont worry like I did. Wait untill you talk to the rad. doc. also maybe you should start asking about clinical trials?

good luck and keep us posted.

When I went to the rad onc the side effects sounded terrible I don't really know what to expect. I had gamma knife but still have to whole head radiation. I would ask your dr about gamma knife I think they can do up to 3 tumors in the brain. I have ither mets also in adrenal gland and chest so that shouldn't be a problem.

Katie,

My mom had 33 radiation treatments and the side effects she had were minimal...not much fatigue. The major ones she had were burnt esophogas and burns to her skin (much like a bad sunburn). The radiation was directed at her lung at lymph nodes.

I think not knowing is one of the hardest parts, because you feel so helpless. I am wishing you all the best. Good luck.

Tim's radiation was the same as the rest of the people. A sunburned area on his back and front, his throat felt like he had a lump in it, but it was never sore. He really didn't have many side effects at all.

Hope the same for your dad. I keep him in my prayers.

Annie

Hugh has had 5 treatments so far. He isn't tired at all and the visits are only around 10 minutes. He is a little hoarse which we assume is from the radiation as the doctor told us he might have a slight sore throat. No sore throat, no headaches. BUT he is on steroids for the inflammation (which we will wean him off of starting this week) and they have made him extremely grumpy.

Hi Katie,

Bill just finished 12 radiation treatments to a new met on his pelvis and his pain has been reduced significantly. The only side effect was that his blood counts dropped down so low that they had to be watched closely so that he could continue with chemo. They came right back up at the end of radiation. However, since his red count was borderline he is on Procrit again.

Blessings to you,

Peg

Hi Katie,

The radiation your father will be having will be over on his shoulder area and he probably will not feel any affects from it. Usually if it is in the lung area and throat area, that is the worse because of the burning and not being able to eat. He should not have any problems other then what he is going through now. Hope it is not in the liver but if so, keep RFA for the liver as a possible option...because other then that, it is chemo again....and that does take them down....Buddy is having a lot of pain in the ribs where the cancer is in the bones and shoulder area more so today then usual. I do believe he to has cancer in the shoulder bone area to.

I will be watching your posts to see how your dad does. The radiation did not help buddy's bone cancer, nor the pain. Hope it helps your dad...God Bless

Hey Katie,

My dad so far has had 10 treatments of rad and it has drained him of energy...he is always so tired, but part of that could be that he has been so inactive of late.

I hope all goes well for your dad and remember not to stress about the liver until you know more!

Tracy

Katie,

I am so sorry about your Dad's recent news, but so glad that his lungs are clear! Radiation should not be too bad for him in the area he is being hit. Heck, it is nothing compared to chemo! I have been having nausea and problems swallowing since the radiation is hitting me in from my upper abdomen to my collar bone. Eating has become so not fun anymore. Just keep your Dad eating, food is medicine. 40% of cancer deaths are caused from malnutrition. Bless poor Jack, he goes out to the store and buys everything I use to love to eat, only can't now. He forces me to eat. It takes me a long time to finish my plate. Jack is done in like 3 min.. Then he sits there coaxing me! Ha! It is embarrassing having him watch me eat and cheering me on. Then here he comes with a big piece of pie! I use to be very calorie conscience, now eating is a chore.

Hope all goes well with Radiation!

Cheryl