So, what is "normal?"

SDianneB

This is one of those "Well, besides that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?" things, I guess.

Except for that, uh, cancer thing, I'm darn close to being "normal." :roll:

Had blood counts done today after the Topo last week, and except for the WBC count, everything was within normal range! WBC is *this close*!!

For those who don't know, I'm in a study for oral Topotecan. I take 5 mg. a day for 5 days (total of 25mg) then off 2 weeks, then another week of pills, off 2 weeks, then a scan. Am in cycle 7 & 8 now -- just finished #7, and will have off this week and next, then begin #8, 2 weeks off, then a scan. Whew.

This is SO much better than having to go in and sit with a needle in a vein or a port, and I'm tolerating this drug very well so far. I hope the FDA gets on it and gets this approved FAST so that others can take advantage of it.

Di

Oh Di,

I am so very happy for you that this treatment is so 'patient friendly' and that you are tolerating it well. My sincere hope that this continues like FOREVER....or until something even better comes along to cure us all!!! Now wouldn't that just be something? How I hope for that so much!

Thanks for letting us all know just how this has been working for you. May be useful to someone here and/or give hope.

Kasey

So, what is "normal?"

Seriously? You're asking ME this question? :shock: Really? :D

I dunno the answer. :? Except maybe what normal is for me...and even that varies some.

My metabolic panels have been pristine lately. I mean, NOTHING out of normal range for kidneys OR liver. Funny thing is...I have focal glomerulonephritis (dxd in l984 but probably had it long before that) and four cancerous tumors in my liver....so go figure why kidney and liver enzymes and function tests are all A-Okay!??

The last two panels showed elevation in two liver enzyme tests...but as of two days ago, both those numbers had decreased again to where they were of little consequence. I'm told chemo CAN impact them.

So....the question is "What is Normal?" and I guess the answer is...."Whatever is happening right now is today's normal. Tomorrow could be another thing altogether!"

So what are we doing standing around here talking about it? Let's head for the pub!! 8)

I'm so glad you're "close to normal." I would say that's very good news. I'm glad this treatment is going well for you! Keep up the progress and I'm sure you will soon be "normal." Wow...I don't think I've ever been even "close to normal"...just ask my friends...lol!

VERY funny, Snowflake. NOT! :lol::lol::lol:

The really strange this is to look at the graph they do on my lab work now and then -- it's almost a flat line! It will go down ever so slightly about a week after I finish a cycle of Topo, then comes right back up. Strange.

Go figure.

Di

• 1 month later...