Taxol and Carboplaten...what to expect?

Darci

John did well on that combination. With each treatment the fatigue got a little worse but no nausea. About the 3rd day following treatment his blood counts would drop and he'd be down for the count for a couple of days. Make sure his counts don't go too low, and call if he gets a fever over 101. Good luck.

Darci, I had the combo you speak of once a week for 8 weeks, no problems. no nausea, very little fatigue... a little achy in my bones day 3-5, but not debilitating. Continued life normal. I was doing this along with radiation and amnifostine for my esophegus.

I did get sick the 7th week of all this, vomitting for 2 days, sore in my mouth for 3 days. I believe this was an accumulation of all 3 for 8 weeks.

Then I had a triple dose of the same combo, 3 weeks apart which sounds like what he'll be doing, this made me only more achy, needed aleve...everything ached like I had the flu real bad. lasted from day 3-7? Then my hair fell out...big, giant clumps. And that was it. No more mouth sores, nausea, nothin.

I hope your experience is as tolerable as mine.

Good luck, Vicky

I had th TC combination once a week for six weeks prior to my surgery. No nausea, hair loss, fatigue or pain. I had the same combination twice after my surgery, three weeks apart. I was told that it was three times stronger than what I had before surgery. I had aches and pains from the third to the fifth day. I lost my hair but I had no problems with nausea. I found that it helped me to take the pain pills before the pain started and also drink alot of water. Hope this helps.

Carol

Hi Darci,

Carboplatin Taxol was the first chemo Mike was on. He tolerated it pretty well. It did cause him some fatigue enough to cause him to rest on about days 3-6 after treatment. He also had body aches , but not terribly bad. White cells dropped quite a bit also, but recovered. After about 2 weeks he started losing his hair and did lose it all. Overall, it was not too severe for him. I know it sounds like a lot , but it really wasn't that bad.

Love,

sue

My dad is doing that combo right now. He has had 6 rounds and is going for eight. The fatigue seems to be the hardest thing right now. I was glad to see that Rochelle's husband seemed to have the same side effects, so hopefully my dad is doing okay. About 3 days after the chemo infusion the body aches set in, so that part is tough. Not a lot of nausesa though. He drinks lots of water and so far has done so well. Good luck!

Cathy

Hi Darci,

My mom had the same combo as your FIL. She had radiation five days a week and chemo once a week. She finished the radiation treatments and has only one more chemo. The onc delayed chemo one time because she was really fatigued. As far as side effects...she has thinning hair, difficulty swallowing because of the radiation (but this is getting better :)) and some fatigue. She really hasn't had much nausea. All in all, she's done pretty well. Hope the same for your FIL.

Libby

Hi Darci,

Joel had 4 sessions 3weeks apart, 5 hours per session. carbo/taxol.

First week.. 1 or two days after treatment, energized, full of energy, could have cleaned the house!! He had no fatigue nor was neauseas.

2nd through 4th...Pain in the legs, ankles in the nerve endings. Took pain pills, helped. Pain came on about 3 or 4 days after treatment. Subsided about 4 days. Some fatigue( he was lucky no neauseas)

Hair tinned, was still coming out so he buzzed it. Never lost eyelashes or eyebrows. Did go bald. Some numbmess in his feet. Still has that, though not as bad.

You may want to ask the doctor is he can take vitiman B6 & B12. That will help the pain in the legs.

All the chemo he went through was tolerable.

Good luck,

Maryanne

I've been on the Carbo/Taxol combo, and it hasn't been too bad. Lost my hair, not that I had much to begin with.A little naseau, fatique. Biggest side effect has been numbness in my feet and joint pain. But we've had some good results from it.

Good Luck.