Here's What I Did To Fight SCLC

Don

Hi Don,

Well, I am fairly new here and so glad I found your post. Fantastic is all I can say. I love the beginning when you have a good talk with the Lord. Me too. I know I will be here as long as he has plans for me here, and that has always given me huge peace. Nice.

Great story, and I'm pleased to meet you.

Judy in MI

Hi Judy in MI and hello to Daisy also. Daisy I have sent you an email back. Please feel free to keep in touch wiith me.

I hope everyone is having some level of success with their treatment plan. I have been very blessed and cancer free for almost 8 years now. If I can be of any help please contact me at Laughery@gvtc.com

Don

• 11 months later...

Hi Don,

I just read your notes on what you are doing to fight your cancer. Is it still working? I also amd drinking lots of water, green tea and fruits as well. I an about to finish my chemo and am planning on vitamins as well as some certain herbs. Please let me know how you are doing?

goldenck54

Hello goldenck54,

I just saw your post and wanted to let you know that I am doing fine and still kicking. It has been over 8 years for me now and I plan on being here another 8 years if the Lord wants me to. I hope that you and all others the best. It's a tough thing to fight just stay as strong as you can both physically and mentally.

God Bless

Donb

• 5 months later...

Your post is really inspiring Don!

Thank you so much for your advice. It's been very helpful.

I would like to ask you if you had brain radiation for the brain mets or if you were treated only with gamma knife.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am new to this and have never posted anything on the internet (I don't even do facebook) but my mother was just diagnosed with extensive sclc and I feel like the life we knew has ended. She begins chemo tomorrow and I am scared of how she will feel during chemo because she is feeling fine now. It is very difficult to know that she may get sick from the chemo. I need to know that there are people out there that survived sclc for more than a year or so. I just need hope for my best friend to be here....

• 2 months later...

Hi Petunia,

Welcome to LCSC,I am so pleased that you have managed to find us .There are so many here, who with their individual experiences with lung cancer, will be able to help support you through this difficult time.I am really sorry to hear of your Mothers diagnosis,this does take some time to adjust to,starting out on this new journey is at the most difficult time,but I promise you things do get better.

At the time of my diagnosis,it took me quite a while to come to terms with my new situation,and like you, desperate to find some re-assurance that this disease can be beaten.I set out firstly to read up on lung cancer and the treatments available to eliminate it from my body.The next step was to search out people who have this disease and who were living proof it can be beaten,one day,I picked up a newspaper which had an article in it about a guy starting up a lung cancer support group in a hospital near to my home,it really caught my attention the more I read about this person,he was diagnosed with SCLC in 1993,given only two months to live by his medical team,he was hospitalised for his chemo treatments,and on more than one occassion, his family were called to his bedside,as his doctor did'nt think he would see the next day,well, to his doctors amazement,Robert,responds to the chemo and makes a full recovery,then in 2007,Robert is now diagnosed with NSCLC,he receives surgery and chemo this time,and goes on to make a full recovery.I just had to meet this superman,so I joined his support group,since Robert Lowe and I have become great friends and I take an active part in helping him run the support group,Robert today is 73 years young,fit,physically and mentally,enjoying life to the full.Thats now 19 years he has survived both type of lung cancer,and if he can do it,why not everyone else?.Please pass on to your Mum my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Thank you so much for the hope. The weirdest thing about seeing your reply is that I never look at this post and for some reason tonight I did. It is also my birthday and I spent my day with my mother. I came home and got very upset and my husband told me to believe. Now, here I am at 11:00 at night reading your reply to something I wrote months ago. Thank you so much. It means so much that other people are there to offer hope. I am so happy that there is someone out there that is almost 20 years from diagnosis. It gives hope to all. His story is amazing and I hope one day to write about my mother's amazing story of how she was able to overcome it all and come out the winner!

Hi Petunia,

Another weird thing,I scan the posts daily and will reply to something current,seems I missed your original post in March,so why would I have even looked at an old post,and replied to it is beyond me,unless it was flagged up again somehow?.Is'nt it strange?

• 9 months later...

Well I finally made it to the 10 year mark. My scans couple weeks ago is still clear. I have alzhemiers now but I am on medication for it. Forget things, get mad at things, and have lost what little patience ever had. Last spring dislocated my shoulder tearing rotater cup in three places. Doc said you will never lift your arm again. Surprise I can reach in the highest cabinet in the house and still saddle my horses. My brain is messing up now from the radiation but thats ok. My breathing is still good taking Alieve and Sprivia. Sorry if I cant spell but I dont really care anymore. Too lazy to look it up. I am sorry for all the people who have lost their battle here with cancer. It doesnt mean God wasnt with you or chose you to go home sooner. Sometimes I look back and wonder if it would have been better to have lost. The effects seem to remind you almost daily that you had cancer. Now I have go go to dentist since most of my teeth have fallen out. Think I will ask if I can just rent some for awhile. The only real advise I will leave you with is remember it is the quality of life that you desire. God Bless and have faith in Christ that he will come after you someday. Don Still Cowboying. :D

For someone celebrating 10 years with that attitude your makin me misty eyed this am with Joy.... Congrats and keep on chugging man. Sounds like a great report card to me...

• 4 weeks later...

I am so glad that u are doing well!

I did wonder some time ago how u were doing ..there was a time when I desperately searched

for SCLC survivors and hardly found someone..until I found lungevity and came across your posts..

Wishing you all the best ..keep putting on the saddle!

Cheers Tina

Thanks to all of you.

Another Update: Went to Ortho wednesday to have my hips that were replaced xrayed. Doc asked "how many times you been bucked off since we replaced them" and I said 15-20 times at least. We both laughed. He said xray shows I got another 75 years warranty on them. Next week Brain MRI.

The worst thing about going to doctor or store now is I can't remember where I parked or if I drove the truck or the car. Looked in pocket see what keys I got then look for that vehicle. Maybe try riding a horse to the store and tie him up out front. Then just look for the crowd. Or I could drive the tractor.

Don

• 1 month later...

You have such a good sense of humour, Don! Your great personality seems to have helped you so much with the disease...

You are a perfect example of how all patients should be! Congratulations! My father is still fighting and i wish he has the same route as you...

I am sending you the best of my wishes

PS: your answering email had helped me very much in the past. Thanks a lot!