Getting to Know You - October 20

Ann

In my car (which I can no longer drive till I get a Neuro's clearance - :? ) the dial is set to an Oldie-Moldies station. Give me the music of the 60's - into the early 70's. Even back into the late 50's. Nothing like the Beach Boys or the Doobies.

Otherwise, I like some Carly Simon, some J.T. The Police, some country and have any of you heard any Eva Cassidy? Omigod.....she has the voice of an angel.

And in fact, she is an angel. All her music came out posthumously. She died in her early 30's of melanoma, I believe it was.

Her rendition of Songbird makes me weep.

I just love music...most any kind! Being a Tennessee girl, I still have some of that love for country music in my veins. In that genre, I would have to say Alabama is just about the best. As a young woman, I absolutely loved the Beatles and still do to this day! I'll have to vote with dadstimeon and say "In My Life" is my favorite Beatles song. I have to share a little story about that one. Just a few days before Dennis died, he told me, in detail, how that was his very favorite Beatles song and how that is song to me. He told me about being a teenager and saving money to buy that album, then playing it over and over. We played that song at his memorial service, along with a lot of blues and rock that he liked. Dennis loved the blues and that really rubbed off on me! Now, I listen to a hodge podge of music. My favorite gal singer now is Sara Evans. What a voice!

There isn't a whole lot of music I don't like, so it's easier to just list that! I'm not crazy about Lawrence Welk type music, but will admit that when I was little, we adored the Lennon sisters! I often joke that I haven't bought any new music since 1975, but that's real close to the truth.

I love Bette Midler, some of Celine Dion's songs (as long as I don't have to watch her!), but my all time fav has to be Barbra Streisand. What awesome talent this woman has.

I'd ride with Addie any old day and listen to oldies. Just this weekend listened to a 50s pop music show on PBS that was grand -- McGuire sisters sang "Lollipop" and "Sugartime" -- what a hoot!

Di

Well, I am with Addie 100% on this one. And since Addie can't drive, I will, and Di is welcome to come along with us too. Still room for one or two more. So where are all you 1960 folks? I even know one of Addie's VERY favorites. Anyone else remember Archie Bell and the Dells?????

Kasey

What music do you listen to? Who's your favorite group or individual singer? What's your favorite song?

these are impossible questions for me. I listen to anything and everything good. the only stuff I can't tolerate, in terms of a genre, is opera. I know that makes me gauche, but I just can't listen to it. I also have a weird aversion to Pink Floyd, who I used to like.

I am very lyrics-driven, but primarily a rock/progressive rock girl. I love some of the hard stuff (Metallica, Judas Priest, Rush) and the edgier classics (Led Zeppelin, Hendrix) but I also love singer-songwriters (especially Aimee Mann) and heavily blues influenced stuff (Government Mule, the Allman Bros.) I love Bjork, who defies categorization. I love Dolly Parton, Patsy Cline and Johnny Cash. I saw the Grateful Dead play 117 times. :oops: I love ballads and love songs. love really good, quality dance hall reggae and hip hop. god bless the 80's. but then who could live without Miles Davis or Tom Waits? big fan of American standards, in general.

see? I can't even answer. I'm such a dork. if I had to pick a single artist to take along with me to the moon, it would be (probably) Bruce Springstein. of course, being a Jersey Girl, I love both the original and the Springstein cover.

right now, my favorite song is one of my "god songs":

"soulshine, it's better than sunshine, it's better than moonshine, damn sure better than rain" Warren Haynes (Gov't Mule/Allman Bros.)

as for my favorite Beatles song, Rich, I have to go with "She Came In Through the Bathroom Window".

xoxo

bunny

I have a TIN ear and usually listen to ABC TV or NPR in the car.

What do I like: show tunes, folk music (Joan Baez type), anything Beatles, oldies, easy listening, boom boom classical and believe it or not, Gregorian chant type stuff.

Don't like, hip hop, rap, heavy metal, lawrence welk, opera.

Can't pick just one...I listen to Paul Simon, Jackson Browne, Mary Chapin-Carpenter, Phoebe Snow, Joe Cocker, Bonnie Raitt, and Van Morrison is also a favorite.

Favorite songs...Paul Simon's "Graceland", Warren Zevon's "Searching For a Heart", and "Circle" by Harry Chapin and many more...can't pick just a few.

I'm particularly fond of Jacob Fussell playing blues on his guitar......and he just happens to be my nephew.

I much prefer instrumentals over vocals.

But of vocals: Jackson Browne, Diana Krall, Sara McLaughlin, Carly Simon, Nora Jones, Rod Stewart (ballads), and most favorite has to be Aaron Neville with Linda Ronstadt.

I am an old classic rock listener, groups like Led Zeplin, Yes, Moody blues, the Who, Styx, Eagles, Queen, Springsteen.

Can't forget Bill Joel

Favorite song... Hotel California, Stairway to Heaven.

I have seen many many rock concerts in my day. Those were the days, my friend, I thought they never end....

Maryanne :wink:

I like all kinds of music too. But I am mostly a rock and roll fan. My favorite right now is Green Day. Their latest CD is fantastic. Favorite song on the CD is "Jesus of Suburbia". My favorite song of all time is probably Mike and the Mechanics "The Living Years" or Elton John's "Your Song". My favorite bands right now are Green Day, Blink 182, Sum 41, Jet, and Puddle of Mud.

Wow, great question!

I love all kinds of music. My radio of choice is a Contemporary Christian station, and I love Big Daddy Weave and Todd Agnew, Casting Crowns, and Third Day.

But, I alwos LOVE Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison, Billy Joel, Blondie.... a lot of classic rock, and 80's rock is da bomb. :) hehe

Also, like some country... and classical..

When we went to San Antonio last year I fell in love with the music of those guys playing on the Riverwalk! Then I got into the Indian Flute with Carlos Nikai. Beautiuful music!!

Music is such a gift from God. :)

Christy

Whew...love all kinds of music. Enjoy contemporary Jazz (adore Nora Jones, Boney James, Warren Hill) and have to have my fix of the Rolling Stones every now and then! We are seeing them in concert next month...AGAIN!

Love to listen to big band cuz it reminds me of my dad and all the times we danced. Sweet memories.

Libby