Internal radiation

I was wondering if anyone has had the internal radiation via a bronchoscopy. My husband was dx'd w/NSCLC Stage IIIA in 12/02. He had 28 radiation tx's along w/Cisplatin and VP-16. This tx got rid of the tumor in his lung but he still had a cancerous lymph node on his trachea. So he had another round of radiation with the same drugs. After this all looked well. He just finished a cycle of Taxotere as consolidation tx. We had his CT scan and PET scan set up for the end of Aug/beg. of Sept. He then developed pneumonia for the 2nd time in a month. His oncologist contacted his thoracic surgeon to schedule a bronchoscopy to determine if he possibly had radiation pneumonitis. Instead they found another tumor which totally shocked us and them. They have already started him on another round of radation. Probably 8-10 tx's. Then they said they might do another bronchoscopy at which time they would insert a wire to internally radiate the tumor provided that it can be reached. Future chemo is a possibility. But the taxotere is still in his body as it has only been 2 weeks since the last dose. My husband is only 44 and I am so scared because this tumor appeared 2 months after his last bronchoscopy revealed nothing. He is having great difficulty in breathing and needs to be on oxygen.

Hi Chrissy,

I have never heard of administering radiation through a bronchoscopy procedure. But I have heard of Brachytherapy, internal radiation therapy using an implant of radioactive material placed directly into or near the tumor. There is also a procedure using a catheter, that is a thin flexible, hollow tube through which radioactive materials can be placed near the cancer. I have also heard of impanting a radioactive source in a small holder near the cancer or in a bodily cavity such as the chest. I hope this helps. Also, visit http://cancernet.nci.nih.gov

Cheryl

Chrissy,

The only thing i want to say is watch and talk to the radioligst often so that they don't give him to much radiation in case surgery can be done later. I have read on this board where there is a limit on radiation that one can have and then one's body looses the option for surgery. Watch out for that.....i will search the board for that listing and let you know. I should think it is something you should read so it doesn't happen to your husband. i will get back to you.

Usually stage IIIA is the "cut-off" for surgery - the last stage where surgery remains an option. Perhaps there are circumstances that made them decide not to try surgery? I ask because it is the best treatment when it's feasible.

Implanted radiation seeds (brachytherapy) and the others Cheryl mentioned are probably what they are planning now. Fortunately, this type of radiation does not adversely affect healing the way "regular" radiation does because doses are lower and more locally focused.

Best wishes to both of you, Teresa

chrissy,

Teresa is prob right. i just reread the staging and surgery prob will not be an option. But, for your knowledge, read under the GENERAL catagory,the post by MSCYN4U headed Rob's Lobectomy Hospital Stay on-going and Pleual Effusion. Under that read what Ry and Karen 335 answered. It may help some for the future....knowledge is power as they say on here...

Thank you all for your responses. I have reading posts for awhile but this was the first time I posted.

Actually, in April my husband underwent a thoracotomy to remove his lower lobe and possibly the middle lobe. But when the biopsy of the lymph node came back with an initial result of cancer the surgeon said it was not in my husband's best interest to remove any of the lung because he required more chemo.

When this new tumor was discovered on Wednesday I again asked if surgery could be done but was told that even if part of the lung is removed my husband will still have disease and all they've done is reduce is quality of life and he'll still need treatment. I think he is close to having all the external radiation he can. That's why they mentioned the internal. It wouldn't be the seeds. I think they said it would be like a wire going in to the lung like a laser.

They have now called in a pulmonologist because his breathing has not gotten better since his admission a week ago. I feel like I'm not getting all the answers that I need. I never seem to be there when any of the doctors stop by and then they all have their specialty.

I am glad that I've found this board. You all seem so supportive of each other.

Chris