So far, so good with chemo

Darci

I talked to my MIL and FIL last night. FIL had his first chemo treatment (Taxol and Carboplaten) on Wednesday. He tolerated the treatment well, and so far has not had any side affects, other than a little bit of a red face the next day.

I sure hope that it stays that way for him. They are very positive right now...but I am afraid that if he starts feeling crummy that the bottom will drop out on them and he will get very depressed.

I understand that some of the affects don't kick in till day 3-5 or so...but it doesn't sound like anyone here has had a terribly hard time with these drugs.

Darci,

I hope things will continue to go along okay for your FIL. I had the same drugs and tolerated them very well. Maybe just a little fatigue and when they upped the dose some achy joints and slight neuropathy which has since cleared up almost competely.

Best of luck, and I hope your MIL and FIL know how lucky they are to have you!

Kasey

Glad things are going well so far, Darci. Yes, sometimes the side effects flare up after several days. It is just part of the chemo. My wife has been through three chemo regimens now, and she has done well. Her first chemo was similar to your FIL, Taxotere and Carboplatin, and she had numerous side effects from it, but it was well worth it. It took care of the tumors present at the time. Good luck. Don

It sounds good for your FIL. If he begins to experience side effects, help him realize the chemo is attacking the cancer also. It would be almost impossible to put a foreign chemical in your body and not feel something. The dexamethasone oftentimes causes the red face and feeling hyper , but it tends to wear of in a few days leaving you a bit fatigued also. As I remember , my husband tolerated it all very well. My best to your fil and your family.

Sue

Darci,

Keep in mind that the effects are often cumulative, so in two or three cycles, he may see more side effects.

My mom just finished 6 rounds of Taxol/Carbo and had tremendous fatigue and some bone pains. also, the hair she lost with Taxotere did not grow back, so your dad may lose his hair. Blood counts did dip, but none of them bottomed out.

It does seem to be a more tolerable chemo regimen, though.

~Suz

thanks everyone for your good wishes and your insight to these drugs.

I am so happy he is doing so well, but I am also trying to keep them a little bit prepared for some of what may come so that it is not such a shock when it does. I think that they have been sailing along thinking that he will not have any side affects at all, and I worry about how they will handle it when they do set in.