Ma's chemo delayed...

Hi everyone!

Well, we *were* on the downslide and then the doc delayed mom's last chemo treatment cuz her white count is down! I say downslide because she is oh so ready to not do this anymore. All in all she's done fairly well with both the radiation and the chemo. The doc did say he was giving her a strong dose and that she would feel pretty lousy and that has been the case. Not right away, but as the weeks have progressed, she has become increasinly fatigued, a tad confused and really weak. She had problems from the rad and her esophagus but thankfully that has improved!

I think a scan will be ordered in about a month and then we will see what's what with this ugly disease. To say we are all apprehensive, is a gigantic understatement but if I have learned anything at all walking this road with her, it is to enjoy every single moment and to try and not worry bout' things we cannot control. A large part of my mindset is because of all of you beautiful people. You will never ever know just how helpful and comforting this board is for me. Even though my other family members do not come here, I constantly share with them anything I learn.

I thank you for your support from the bottom of my heart and please know each and every single one of you and your family members are in my prayers. I truly believe, *together* we do make a difference.

Love and light

Libby

The chemo takes the good cells with the bad and it will get worse before it gets better...but it will get better. She will get through it, just try to keep her as healthy as you can so she doesn't get pneumonia or an infection while her counts are down. Push the fluids, it will help with the chemo. Good luck to you both.

Rochelle

Libby,

When patients have radiation and chemo at the same time it can be very hard on them, but they do recuperate from that. As for the white cells being down and delaying the chemo, that is a common occurrence. It happened with my husband a couple of times, but with the Neulasta, it recovered fairly quickly. Hope you can make her know that her body will recover from the treatments. Will be praying for good results when she has scans.

Sue

Libby -

Hang in there. My mom is doing th radiation and chemo at the same time as well...in addition to being in excruciating pain. She has only been through one round of chemo so far (Gemzar/Carbo) and we just finished the radiation. I'll let you know how the next round goes.

I'll be thinking about you. I know how much it sucks. :)

Holly

Basically agree with everything already said here. It is a really confusing time, but all chemo treatments have a certain amount of rounds perscribed by the doctor. When those are done, we pray the results are good, and very often the patient starts gaining strength and mental capacities back faster than they lost them. Like people have said. Chemo is toxic to the good and bad cells. We know the good cells always come back when off the chemo. We're here for you.

Well thank for all your kind words. I think we all feel the same way about our friends here on the board. They are lifesavers at times when it is needed most.

I know your mom will have good results. I will send out good vibes to her.

Take care

Maryanne :wink:

The same thing has happened to my mom, although they couldn;t do chemo and rads at the same time as she had just finished rads to her brain.

A delay in chemo makes me think 'it' will have a chance to grow and prolongs her treatment and I am very impatient! We were hoping for her to be done by Christmas and our gift would be that everything has disappeared, but it looks like treament will go well into 2006 with the delays.

One thing I am learning about much of this is that it is out of my hands, I am trying to concentrate more on today and mom and the rest of my family, although I can't say I am good at it!!

They finally put my om on Neulasta, which is kind of like procrit I guess.

I hope this break for your mom helps her to gain the strength back to get her through her next round.

Hugs and prayers,

kim

Just wanted to say thanks again for all of your support. Looks like tomorrow is her last chemo treatment..fingers and everything that can be crossed are crossed that her blood counts are in the acceptable range. Mom is so ready to feel better. She said at the beginning of this journey that she was just going to pretend that she was pregnant on the days she felt lousy...yesterday, she said she must be pregnant with an alien...she made me laugh!

Prayers and healing thoughts for everyone.

Libby

Hi Libby,

I know how devastating it is when the treatment is denied. My Mom really gets set back when she goes in for her chemo and they tell her they can't give it to her. I hope at her appointment, your Mom's blood counts are right where they should be......

About your comments about how much this board means, you said it perfectly...my thoughts exactly. Together, day by day, we all CAN make a difference.

Hugs,

Melinda