breathing problems now???

Today was a bad day for My Mom...She had difficulty breathing but does not want to go to the hospital...the EMTs checked her out and her O2 saturation was low so I was able to get her doctor to order and deliver O2 for home use. I think it helps a little but I really dont understand what exactly causes this? The lung tumor is only 3 cm and her lungs are clear??Does anybody habve experience with this? Also, we are about to get hit by a hurricaine and if we need help this weekend/next week we are out of luck. Has anyone had this happen and it improves?Please advise before Wilma gets here as we will likely lose power.....Janet

Janet, I'm a bit north of you, in Palm Bay. If I were you and faced the chance that my mom might need oxygen, I would make arrangements to evacuate immediately. From the sound of things, it doesn't look great for Miami as of the latest forecast. If you think there is a chance she might need this I would make plans immediately!

There are portable oxygen systems that do not require electricity for those of us on Oxygen, but you need to make arrangements in advance to have the tanks on hand. You need to contact your Mother's physicians and/or evacuate the area and/or contact the closest major medical facility to ask if your Mom should be admitted for observation during the storm.

You are in my prayers.

I dealt with oxygen with Johnny. Once his cancer started to shrink his breathing improved. He used the oxygen less and less. I will tell you that anxiety will also effect the oxygen level because anxiety causes a person to breathe differently. I was able to prove that to Johnny. When he would see that his O2 was registering too low I would talk to him while he watched the monitor. I would tell him that he was in control and coach him in the pursed lip breathing. When he would calm down and breathe slowly and relax he could watch his numbers climb.

Her problem could be a combination of things. The area where the tumor is, her red cell count and anxiety. With lung cancer and a huricane I would say she has good reason to have anxiety.

I'm as far from an expert as possible, but my mother's tumor was only 1.5cm and yet she had difficulty breathing. I don't know if this can only be caused by low oxygen absorbsion, however, is it possible that low oxygen intake can be caused by fluid? My mom had a small tumor and lots of fluid, only confirmed by x-ray. She had pleurodisis, and has been fine ever since with breathing. I'm totally lacking knowledge, but I'll throw anything out there if it could help. I'm sorry for your situation,

Thinking of you,

Ben

yes, there are tons of reasons she might be low in her sats. I would definately get it checked out, my mom had a few different, related crises which included shortness of breath.

I agree about the portable O2 and investigating treatment for anxiety, as well. hang in there, and be safe.

xoxo

amie