Journey's End

SJAS

Dear Friends,

Another traveller on this road has laid down his burden.

Steve's journey here came to an end at 4:30 a.m. today. He left in a manner so typically Steve - with care and concern for his family - picking a time when most had gone to bed and I had drifted off briefly next to him. The final lesson he left with us is that death is not something to be feared, but really is a release and a letting go and peace. He left with almost a slight smile on his lips.

We have spent the day in tears and laughter as we reminisced about all the wonderful things Steve brought to our lives. We know that he will still be very much a part of everything we do. True to form, when asked what music he wanted for the service he said "Led Zeppelin." He gave us laughs right to the end.

It was Steve's desire that I continue the fight and so we shall with our "Shine a Little Light on Lung Cancer" event. Our lighted ribbon will have deeper meaning as we think of the man who was the light of our lives. Lung cancer may have taken another casualty, but in the end, with all of us fighting, we will take the war.

We want to thank you all for the wonderful support you have given us during Steve's illness these last couple of years. Like someone once said, "Lung cancer isn't for wimps." Steve was sure no wimp about it, but I certainly have had my moments and it was your support that helped see this family through this monstrous disease. Your kindness and warm caring touched Steve deeply, giving us all strength to make it through the hard parts.

With heavy hearts, damp smiles and love,

Joyce & Alex & Scott

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry Joyce, for your family's loss, for our loss. Your post was a wonderful tribute to your Steve, as will be your "Shine a Little Light on Lung Cancer". I wish you peace in the days ahead..

Joyce, my heart broke when I read your post. Please accept my deepest condolences for you and your family in the passing of a beautiful soul.

He may have lost the war but certainly not the battle. He was so brave.

May he be a peace entering his "Stairway to Heaven"

Prayers for you Joyce for strentgh to get through this.

You seem to have wonderful memories which will stay alive in your heart of hearts.

Maryanne

Joyce...

My deepest sympathies and Godspeed to Steve. It sounds as though there was some laughter right up to the end...and then a very peaceful passing. As you retell it, I don't know that it could have been scripted any better.

I know the weeks and months ahead will be a hard adjustment...but you're strong, and you'll remain so, being a source of stability for your kids.

I genuinely hope you find a way to inject a little Led Zeppelin into Steve's service...as I have a feeling he'll be expecting that. :wink:

Lean on us whenever you need to...you're an important part of the lchelp family.

Again...my sincere condolences.