treatment?

My grandmother was diagnosed with lung cancer, and at first, we were all hopeful. The doctor said it was in the early stages, and completely treatable.

Now we find out that it is in her liver, and in her bones, from what I've been told, going into her skull.

Is there any treatment that might be effective, or is she basically just waiting to die?

I just found out she is having a hard time walking, and Im really worried.

She was SO active until recently, I thought she would out live the entire family.....now, I'm Not so sure

Thanks,

J

Hi J

I am so glad that you found this site and us. This is a frightening time not knowing what is in front of you and your family.

It sounds as if your grandmother has been very healthy up to this point. That is in her favor! No doubt!

There are many people here who have had lc with mets to all of the areas that you say your grandmother has. They are hanging in there and many are doing well. They will be by I am sure to offer you some hope and guidance.

Please give us a little more information if you can. What kind of cancer? Small cell or non-small cell?

What does her doctor say about treatment?

This is a treatable illness. The treatments are no fun, but it is treatable for most people.

Cindi o'h

Im really not sure if it is small cell or non-small cell. But after it has spread to your liver, and to your bones, does it really make much difference?

Her and my Grandpa seem to sugar-coat things a lot.

She doesn't want to be felt sorry for.

I just found out yesterday that she can hardly walk on her own, and she has been hospitalized 3 times.

When the Doctor told her it was in her bones, she said "So I've pretty much had it"......he told her Yes.....gave her some pain prescriptions, and sent her home.

I think she may refuse treatment, because her Mom died of breast cancer, and really suffered from the ill side effects of treatments in her last few months. She has said she wants to feel as good as she can, while she can, but she is in so much pain.

Should she just take the oxy contin, and just wait to die, or is there a doctor in the country that could perhaps treat such a dire prognosis?

J

Hi J, I'm very sorry to hear about your Grandmother. It is a frighting time for all involved and perfectly understandably how you feel. I cannot speak of mets to the bone, liver. However as long as there is life there is hope. What type of lung cancer, stage, size etc does make a differences in treatments. As far as chemo goes, they have come a long way in terms of side effects and medications to help off set the side effects. Of course everyone is different. Has you Grandmother seek-ed a second opinion? The bottom line is it is up to your grandmother and her wishes should be respected. Hope this helps. Prayers for the best. Rich

Hi J; If I had stage 4 lc, and was just sent home with pain pills, knowing what I know now, I would seek an oncologist's second opinion at a large cancer center. If your grandma is in otherwise good health, she could have treatment that may very well reverse the disease and keep it stable for years. The side effects from treatment these days are much better managed than just 10 years ago. I had chemo and tolerated it very well.

Don M

Welcome! Yes, it makes a difference. Don't give up hope. My wife was diagnosed with extensive bone mets and is presently on her third chemo treatment for liver and bone mets, to say nothing of many radiation treatments. She is still doing well and active at a different level, but alive and enjoying life. So don't give up so readily. Fight! Fight! Fight! Blessings. Don

Welcome. Just want to add that a lot of times treatment especially if it is in the liver and bones just may make your grandmother more comfortable! If it is small cell , that is very sensitive to chemo and she may do well for a long time. Donna G

So very sorry to hear that your grandmother is ill. I agree with others that a second opinion may certainly be in order. Maybe your grandmother has more information that she has shared with her family and has chosen to not seek treatment. If this is the case, you could certainly encourage her to seek a second opinion.

I am so sorry to hear about your Gramma... It is so difficult for this to be out of your hands.

My mom is stage 4, non small cell with mets (has spread to) to her brain. This is known to be treatable, but not curable. They could fight to extend her life or they could treat her symptoms to make her comfortable. I know when we all went to the oncologist with my mom, he took her aside away from the rest of us and asked her if this treatment was her choice or if we were making the choice for her.

As much as you can suggest for her to seek antoher opinion or treatment, it may be that this is what she has chosen and as you said, if she is sugar coating it for you, may not want to hurt you by telling you the path she has chosen.

My hope for you is that you can spend time with your Gramma loving her as it sounds like you do love her so much.

I hope that you can all feel some peace in whatever decisions your Gramma makes.

My prayers are with you and your family.

kim

My father in law died in 1999 of stage IV adenocarcinoma with mets to the brain. He chose radiation and no chemo. We tried to enroll in a clinical trial at Dana Farber in Boston. They said come back in 2 months. He knew he didn't have that long. He died in his sleep...starved in my opinion.

In 2005 my dad is diagnosed with Stage IIIb and the first chemo drug they offer him is the very drug in the study offered in 1999 at Dana Farber---Pacitacixil plus Carboplatin.

Sadly my FIL had a personality of fatalism. It was very pervasive and at time I had considered not marrying into this family because of it. I made my choice but could not persuade my FIL to choose living. His cancer was too far gone and his choices reflected that outlook.

My dad on the other hand is a happy, 000, optimistic, earthy soul who is not a statistic. HE's a dirty-minded ol'coot who is fun-loving and affectionate. He'll dance to any tune and shoot hoops with people much taller and beat them oneonone. He kicks *ss!

I am placing my bets on his desire to live and fight.

However or whatever outlook you choose is based on the individual temperment of the person facing this terrible disease.

I pray you seek advice and advocate in a positive manner for your loved one. Whatever she choses...it is ultimately her choice.

Peace,

Eppie

Certainly respect your Gramma's choice first and foremost, whatever it may be. But do let her know that there IS hope and there are treatment options for stage IV LC with mets in all of those areas. There are many people here who are fighting all kinds of mets and still going strong. I know Don Wood has already posted--check out his and Lucie's story!

Let your Gramma know that if she WANTS to fight this than a second opinion may be in order, but that above all you respect and support her choices.

((((hugs))))) I know this is very hard for you and I'm sorry you've received this news.

I'm so sorry you have to be here, but glad you came. I agree with what many have told you , already. As hard as it may be, you must respect your grandmother's wishes, but you could tell her about the many hopeful cases at this site. Maybe she isn't aware of the different options available. If you learn more information about her case, we can help you better. God Bless.

Sue