Things are Better

Thanks, everybody for all the advice to help Tim stop smoking. I think Katie's advice-make him plan his funeral-was the one that did it. This is his 4th day with no cigs. He's not as congested and doesn't cough as much--big suprise there! :?

Now he is not acting like a child and trying to hide his smoking and "get away with something". Or maybe it didn't count if I couldn't see him smoking. Instead of thinking of me as the enemy trying to catch him, he's thinking of me as a partner to help him quit. Quite a difference in attitude.

I feel much more hopeful now. That was the worst part--having my hope for a cure taken away. Thanks again, guys.

Annie

• 1 month later...

I am having a lot of frustration in the area of smoking and drinking, in regards to my father. He's been down to about 2 to 3 cigs a night since his dx in May, 2001, but he can't, or just won't quit. He also drinks some nights quite heavily (vodka tonics). His excuse is he can't get to sleep. We've told him to ask his doctor for sleep medications, but, hypocritically, he doesn't want to get hooked on them. He's so stubborn sometimes, and it's making all of us crazy! Don't know what to try with him. I do want to build a relationship with his doctor, but he tries to keep the doctor at arms length from the family. I need help!

Kitty

Annie,

Just wondering, how have things been going with Tim trying to kick the habit?

Kitty

Thanks, everybody for all the advice to help Tim stop smoking. I think Katie's advice-make him plan his funeral-was the one that did it. This is his 4th day with no cigs. He's not as congested and doesn't cough as much--big suprise there! :?

Now he is not acting like a child and trying to hide his smoking and "get away with something". Or maybe it didn't count if I couldn't see him smoking. Instead of thinking of me as the enemy trying to catch him, he's thinking of me as a partner to help him quit. Quite a difference in attitude.

I feel much more hopeful now. That was the worst part--having my hope for a cure taken away. Thanks again, guys.

Annie