My Mom

lulu

Hi everyone, my mom is in the hospital and she was diagnosed with non small cell lung cancer with mets to the spine. I am so sick with worry, after reading many articles online I know that the prognosis is not good. My mom is my best friend, I don't know what I would do without her.She had back surgery 2 weeks ago for a ? disc problem and that is when they found the cancer. Prior to this she went for many tests, MRI, CT Scan, Blood work, Bone Scan and all were negative. She only had some arthritic pain that worsened with activity. She has never been sick. I am so scared and I don't know what to do. I am awaiting an appointment with Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City. She does have a lot of pain in her legs and it is killing me inside to see her with pain. She also suffers from major depression, she has been hospitalized on psych. wards numerous times and has even attempted suicide in the past.At the present time she doesn't know about the cancer, I am frightened with how she will handle the news.I am fighting a double sword, physical and mental illness. Any help and support would be greatly appreciated.[/b]

Welcome to the board. You'll find alot of support here from many who have your Mom's specific type of lc. Please take it one step at a time; reading is good, I guess, but statistics can often be wrong and will cause you alot of worry which may not even apply to her situation. Also, you're scheduled to go to a top NYC hospital where she will get great treament (great reputation). When you go there, please take notes, ask questions and If you come away confused call the doctor back and ask for a replay until you understand. We're here for you. Keep posting.

Joanie

(3 1/2 year Small Cell Suvivor)

LuLu,

You have a tough job ahead of you and it will not be easy. My advise to you is to go with your Mom to her appointments so you both can understand what treatment is ahead of her. Keep her psychiatrist informed as well so he can keep a good eye on her. Sloan-Ketteering is top knotch, so you are in good hands. There are no easy fixes to this disease, but it is a tolerable thing and life can still be lived well.

The "new stage" is the worst part, lots of waiting, hoping and praying. Read the posts on this website and direct your Mom to them when you feel as though it would be appropriate.

Answers are abundant to your questions so ask away.

Wishing you all the best.

Hi Lulu.

Welcome to our group. We will help you all we can.

First of all, I am so sorry that your Mom has so much on her plate right now. It sounds as if the pain in her legs is from her back. Soon, I hope, that will be resolved.

Amazingly enough, I think your Mom is probably stronger than you may realize. Sometimes, I think that the more one has suffered (with physical or mental illness or both) the more skills that person has to deal with the really tough challenges in life. I am praying that this will be the situation with your Mom.

Prayers for guidance as you help your Mom through these intial days and weeks. When someone hears "lung cancer" the adrenalin starts to flow. This subsides over time. When you have a plan of treatment in place, you will be busy with getting her fixed and find more confidence that she has a chance of getting better.

Please let us know how she is doing. And if there is anything that we can help you with, please let us know. We have all been in either your shoes, or your Mom's. We are here for you.

Cindi o'h

hi there. I am so sorry for everything you have on your plate. does your mom have a psych. practitioner in her life? you could talk to them about how to best support her in terms of her mental illness and new LC dx.

my mother went to Sloan Kett. for a 2nd opinion and stayed with them. either way, you'll get great information and will be able to make a treatment plan.

s&%$w the prognosis. keep the faith!!

xoxo

amie

Hi, and welcome! My wife has NSCLC, and has had many bone mets, including the spine. She is presently a 3-year survivor, so I hope that gives you and your mom some hope. She has been through 3 chemo treatments and many radiation treatments, which have all helped keep the cancer under control. She is still active and takes meds for pain. Keep us posted. Don

LuLu -

Please feel free to personal message me - First, you have a found a fantastic place to be...the people on this board are all so supportive, and have lots of love and advice to give.

My mom was also diagnosed with stage IV with mets to the spine (about three months ago.) She has since developed mets to the ribs, neck, hip and femurs. There are many things that can be done to lessen the pain -- many, many things from radiation to pain control pumps and patches. You are just beginning this journey. I was terrified when this started (and I am still am lot of the time!) -- but you WILL get through it. I agree with everyone else -- FORGET THE STATS and FORGET the PROGNOSIS.

The absolute best advice -- although it sounds so trite is: take each day as it comes, do not try and figure out the future as that is when you will get overwhelmed. You may not have the strength to deal with tomorrow right now...but you WILL when tomorrow comes.

Please know that everyone on this board is here for you.

Holly

Welcome Lulu,

I'm so glad you found us. You have a lot to handle right now, but you can do it. First of all , having medical professionals that you can trust is so very important. They will take the information and come up with a plan. In your mom's case , make sure they know your mom's history of battling depression so they can get her all the help she needs. This is something you shouldn't have to handle on your own. You will find this group to be so helpful , kind, compassionate and knowledgeable. Looking forward to knowing you better.

Love,

Sue

Welcome Lulu,

Sorry to hear about your Mom. But don't give up hope!

Your moms psych. problems reminds me of my MIL. She had a lot of problems, had depressions and attempted suicide. Then she got coloncancer. To our surprise, she handled it very well! She was strong and wasn't depressive at all at that time! Unfortunately, the mental problems came back after the treatment for the coloncancer stopped.

I don't know about your mom, but there is a possibility that she is stronger than you think!

Ellen.