New to Boards

Guest petesmom

Guest petesmom

Hi Everyone,

I am new to these boards and am here seeking information. My brother who is 45, was just diagnosed with lung cancer. He is not wanting to talk much about it and only with a few people. I understand that he is in shock right now and the last thing he feels like doing is answering a lot of questions (I am a two time breast cancer survivor so I understand what it feels like to hear you have cancer).

He told my parents that he has advanced small cell lung cancer. Here is the current treatment plan.

Surgery to remove a lobe of his right lung where there is a tumor (he doesn't mention size).

3D rads for the left lung where there are spots.

No mention of chemotherapy.

MRI was done and brain and liver were clear at this time.

Treatment is taking place at Yale-New Haven Hospital Cancer Center

I am confused. The above treatment plan doesn't jive with what I have read about SCLC. My sister, who is a nurse, and I think he must have NSCLC Stage IIIA or possibly B. His onc also told him he has a 75% chance of recovery. He doesn't have a copy of the path report and probably will not get one so we don't know what is going on. I would appreciate any and all comments.

Thanks to you all and blessings,

Petesmom

You need to get copies of all reports to insure you know what type of cancer you are dealing with. When I was diagnosed I insisted on copies of all reports just for my own records and satisfaction. Good luck and please keep us informed. There is a great deal of help on these boards.

Welcome to the boards. I am surprised that they would do surgery when the cancer seems to have spread to the other lung. Good news is that liver, brain and other areas are clear. I am also surprised no chemo was offered. I would suggest your brother get a second opinion. It is good for someone who will ask questions to go with him whenever he sees the doctor. Don

Hi,

Knowing more facts about your brother's cancer would be helpful. Not knowing what type and all the facts makes it hard to help you. I would advise anyone to get copies of every report that they can and ask questions until you understand everything. This board and the people here offer so much valuable support and first hand information, as well as information from professional sources. For starters, you will notice there is a sclc forum and one for nsclc. At the top of each of these forums, Katie B has given exellent link sources to information defining the lung cancer types etc. I can't begin to tell you how wonderful this site is. Just know that you couldn't have found a better place to be. As soon as you can get more information to work with, we will be glad to share our experiences. My prayers go out to you and your brother.

Sue

I'm sorry to hear about your young brother.

I don't know if I agree he needs a second opinion, more then maybe he needs someone to go with him on his appointments. It really sounds to me like he's NOT hearing what the doctor's are telling him.

I think your right about him being in shock. Please tell him there IS LIFE AFTER LUNG CANCER! HONEST!

Like they say it was probably "non" small cell lung cancer. If they were able to do surgery it was not Stage IV with distant metastasis . Next besides someone at Dr. appointments to take notes he also needs lots of support, and prayers that the treatments kill any loose cells and years down the road he will celebrate his survival. Best Wishes, prayers going up and please keep us posted on how he is doing. Donna G

When I first read your post I thought surgery on Small cell? I never heard of that. So if you can please go with him to his next appointment, so you can find out exactly what kind of LC he has.

Also on stage IIIA or B, he should have chemo. Like I said see if you can go to his next appointment. If you go take a pad and pen with you and if you have questions write it down so you do not forget. Also, you should write down what the doc tells you.

Keep us informed and good luck.

Maryanne

Sorry to hear about your brother. Maybe you can get your brother to sign a release form so that you can get copies of all his tests, reports and doctor notes. Someone needs to track all that stuff. Your brother may not be up to it at this point. Take him out to lunch and talk to him about it.

I tracked all my own stuff. It was a good way for me to deal with the cancer. It made me feel like I was doing something about it. I had a 3 ring binder that I took to every appointment. I would get a copy of the current report or scan before I saw my oncologist so that I could read it and know what questions to ask. Early on in my cancer journey, my wife went with me to all my appointments and served as a second set of ears. There is a lot of information to digest.

I think I have it beat now and no longer lug my notes around with me to my checkups.

I hope the best for your brother.

Don M

Guest petesmom

I just want to thank all of you who replied to my post. I wrote my brother a long email and basically told him to get copies of his path report. I also told him that a cancer diagnosis is NOT a death sentence...I know from my own experience with breast cancer and all of your stories. I will keep all of you posted and I admire the courage and tenacity of you all. I will keep you posted on his progress and please know that all of you are in my prayers.

Blessings,

Petesmom

sorry to come to this late, and I am sorry your brother has lung cancer. going with him to his next appointment might be a great way to get information without him having to talk about it before he's ready.

also, a 2nd opinion is always a good idea. it sounds very treatable to me, so keep the faith!

there is a ton of information and support to be had here, so I hope you'll keep coming back.

xoxo

amie

So sorry your brother was dx with LC....you have come to the best place in the world for info....(better then doctor's)

Will keep you all in my prayers and know like some one said...LC is not a 'death sentence"...It has been proven over and over again right here on this board..

I think your brother is confused and needs to find out more what is going on...Some one has to go with him because when you are first dx....everything the doc say's goes over your head and your not even listening....So good idea to go and take notes

I think a second opinion is a good idea..I got a second opinion with team of 8 doctors and still wasn't satisfied...cause they still didn't know if it was LC..had to find out thru surgery...and it was...sigh....From reading on here ...never heard of surgery for smlc...Best of luck to all of you..Please keep us imformed..God Bless....Pam S.

I would definately get a second opinion. I did alot of things wrong when I was first diagnosed because I didn't know any better. It's very important that treatment and procedures are done right the first time. I even got a third opinion. I know you and your brother are overwhelmed with so much right now but you need confidence in your doctor and the treatment protocol. Good Luck and my prayers are with you.

GOD BLESS!!!

Jamie