Something to read when you're worried

Leslie221

This is what I did this afternoon - sit on my behind in front of the computer and find these quotes about worry and fear. They reflect all kinds of philosophies and attitudes, but you're bound to find at least one worth remembering or sharing with someone else.

Leslie

When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us. --Alexander Graham Bell

Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

What lies before us and what lies beyond us is tiny compared to what lies within us. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Nerves and butterflies are fine - they're a physical sign that you're mentally ready and eager. You have to get the butterflies to fly in formation, that's the trick. ~Steve Bull

Panic is a sudden desertion of us, and a going over to the enemy of our imagination. ~Christian Nevell Bovee

A day of worry is more exhausting than a day of work. ~John Lubbock

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained. ~Arthur Somers Roche

Do not be afraid of tomorrow; for God is already there. ~Author Unknown

Worry is a complete cycle of inefficient thought revolving about a pivot of fear. ~Author Unknown

To fear is one thing. To let fear grab you by the tail and swing you around is another. ~Katherine Paterson, Jacob Have I Loved

There are very few monsters who warrant the fear we have of them. ~Andre Gide

Drag your thoughts away from your troubles... by the ears, by the heels, or any other way you can manage it. ~Mark Twain

As a rule, what is out of sight disturbs men's minds more seriously than what they see. ~Julius Caesar

When I am anxious it is because I am living in the future. When I am depressed it is because I am living in the past. ~Author Unknown

The only courage that matters is the kind that gets you from one moment to the next. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotic's Notebook, 1966

If things go wrong, don't go with them. ~Roger Babson

If you can't sleep, then get up and do something instead of lying there worrying. It's the worry that gets you, not the lack of sleep. ~Dale Carnegie

I've developed a new philosophy... I only dread one day at a time. ~Charles Schulz

I keep the telephone of my mind open to peace, harmony, health, love and abundance. Then, whenever doubt, anxiety or fear try to call me, they keep getting a busy signal - and soon they'll forget my number. ~Edith Armstrong

I come into the peace of wild things who do not tax their lives with forethought of grief.... For a time I rest in the grace of the world, and am free. ~Wendell Berry, "The Peace of Wild Things"

You can't wring your hands and roll up your sleeves at the same time. ~Pat Schroeder

For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe. ~Author Unknown

It only seems as if you are doing something when you're worrying. ~Lucy Maud Montgomery

Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it gets you nowhere. ~Glenn Turner

Worry often gives a small thing a big shadow. ~Swedish Proverb

Never bear more than one kind of trouble at a time. Some people bear three - all they have had, all they have now, and all they expect to have. ~Edward Everett Hale

We can easily manage if we will only take, each day, the burden appointed to it. But the load will be too heavy for us if we carry yesterday's burden over again today, and then add the burden of the morrow before we are required to bear it. ~John Newton

If you see ten troubles coming down the road, you can be sure that nine will run into the ditch before they reach you. ~Calvin Coolidge

Worry is interest paid on trouble before it comes due. ~William Ralph Inge

We are more disturbed by a calamity which threatens us than by one which has befallen us. ~John Lancaster Spalding

Grief has limits, whereas apprehension has none. For we grieve only for what we know has happened, but we fear all that possibly may happen. ~Pliny the Younger

He who fears he shall suffer, already suffers what he fears. ~Montaigne

There is a time to take counsel of your fears, and there is a time to never listen to any fear. ~George S. Patton

Many of our fears are tissue-paper-thin, and a single courageous step would carry us clear through them. ~Brendan Francis

Fear: False Evidence Appearing Real. ~Author Unknown