Hospice v nursing home

CLC

Hello. My cousin has sclc. She had part of her lung removed several years ago and last year the cancer recurred near her windpipe for which she underwent radiation and chemo. She was hospitalized recently to put a stent in her esophogus and they discovered three lesions in her brain for which she has been undergoing radiation. She will finish this in a few days and is expected to be discharged. She had been doing better, was recovering from the stent surgery and starting to eat but over the past couple of days has been in terrible pain in her head and neck and is not doing as well overall. The plan was to have her come home but we now believe she may need to go to hospice or a nursing home for some period of time. Does anyone have any thoughts on which of these is the better option if the goal is to get her well enough that she can come home? Her primary caregivers are her sister and her mother and it would be easier for her mother to get to a nearby nursing home, but the hospice is not so far as to make it extremely burdensome. Also, the doctor feels the pain is occurring because the radiation is breaking up the tumors in the brain and this will improve--has anyone seen this? Thanks for your advice. I will try to post a bio on my cousin when I nail down the details a little better.

Hi! Hospice is usually used if the patient's prognosis is 6 months or less. Also, some hospice organizations will come to the home -- you don't have to necessarily go to their facility. They will also go to a nursing home. My mother-in-law went through hospice while she was in a nursing home. My brother and a friend of ours had hospice at home. Good luck. Don

CLC

I don't think that severe pain in the head is common with radiation, especially that the pain is being caused by the "radiation breaking up the tumors". That's a new one. :shock: She should be on Decadron (steroids) during radiation and for a while after. Check to be sure that she is taking steroids daily. The pain may be caused by swelling. Many people on here, including my husband, have had radiation to their brain, and the most common side effect is fatigue, sometimes nausea (but not very often), but also just feeling crappy.

It sounds to me like a nursing home would be a better option since hospice is, generally, for those who are in the end stages or will no longer be receiving treatments.

Love,

Peggy