Anyone Ever haveDiagnosis of both SCLC and NSCLC ?

Guest petesmom

Guest petesmom

Hi Everyone,

My mother told me that my 45 year old brother has been diagnosed with NSCLC in his right lung and SCLC in his left lung. The surgeon will be removing the lobe of his right lung after which my brother will under go rads. No mention of chemo. My brother had a clear scan with no brain or liver mets and he says his onc told him his nodes are clear. Has anyone been diagnosed with both types of cancer at the same time?

Thanks to you all and this is truly a wonderful place to get information and support.

Blessings,

Petesmom

I would think that since he has SCLC, then chemo would be necessary.

I would get a 2nd opinion. You can also post on "Ask the Experts" and a Dr will give an opinion

Also make sure you go to the best cancer center nearby. There are NCI designated ones that are "approved" by the National Insitute of Health

http://www3.cancer.gov/cancercenters/centerslist.html

Also for info, google "Multiple primary lung cancer"

I have had both only not at the same time. 5 1/2 years ago I had my upper left lobe removed (NSCLC) with no lymph node involvement, so no chemo or radiation.

In June of 2004, I was diagnosed with SCLC in my lower left lobe. Had a wedge-resection done, then 4 months of chemo and 20 PCI treatments. I would definitely get another opinion. It is my understanding that SCLC spreads more quickly and is more receptive to chemo so I would think they would act on that one first. Hope this helps. Good luck to your brother.

Nancy B

Guest petesmom

Thank you all for replying so quickly. My sister is a nurse and I work for a retired nurse and all of us are pushing my brother to get a second opinion. We want a copy of his pathology report which he must insist on getting. Will talk with him today and I will keep you posted.

Blessings,

Petesmom