Getting to Know You - November 02

Ann

I always thought I would do something with animals. Be a vet, or a marine biologist. But, instead I am taking care of the other animals-people! I always thought I would live a more exciting life. But, I'm happy with the one I've got. Helping people breath better is very rewarding!

Being raised as an only child, I always thougth I'd have a houseful of little ones. Well, after having three boys, I decided that a houseful was out of the picture and settled for three. I also always thought that I wanted to be a teacher - 1st grade. what in the world was I thinking? I did my semester of student teaching and was about ready to pull my hair out, so teaching was not for me. Instead, I went into the business field so now I have a boss that acts like a 1st grader so I would say I'm pretty much where I intended to be! Of course, I always figured that my husband and I would grow old together and enjoy our grandchildren but obviously, that was part of a Cinderella story that will never come true.

I always felt that I was special. I had three sisters and we all had very different goals in life. My goal was to get an education (1st one in family with a bachelor and master's) and to have a rewarding job. I DID IT!!! My job, band directing, was very rewarding. It was something, putting an instrument in a little child's hand and educating them to grow musically. It was wonderful experience for me.

GOD BLESS!!!

Jamie

my life looks nothing like what I always imagined it would...THANK GOD! what I would have for me is so much LESS than what god has given me, I would have sold myself short!!

if you'd told me, as a kid, I would be doing what I am doing today I would have been like "yeah right".

actually, I always said I wanted to be Amelia Earhardt...until someone responded with, "you want to be missing!?" :lol:

seriously, I was a messed up little girl without any 'dreams' to speak of, and now I have so many blessings, I can hardly stand it.

xoxo

bunny

I was either going to be a writer (of children's books) or a graphic artist. In lieu of either of those careers....I think I envisioned myself as housewife and mother...which I turned out to be. I do a lot of crafty stuff and I write...poems, limericks, fun stuff....so I do use the creative juices too.

All in all, no regrets about the course my life has taken. Best thing I did was produce our two sons. Great kids.

I always figured when I was younger that my life would include a tall, dark, handsome man named David. Well....I didn't marry him....but gave birth to a tall, dark, handsome David instead. :wink: Some "dreams" do come true....just in modified form.

When I was growing up my "dream" life and job changed daily. As an adult my carreer path has not exactly changed daily, but has had some major changes. When I was in AA I loved my couselors so much I thought I might try that, it did not exactly happen in AA, but I have become so involved with Alan's Lung Cancer and volunteering at the hospital I am happy to say that starting in May 2006 I will be head of my own Caregiver support group at the hospital Alan is being treated. I am very excited about this and look forward to starting my trainging in January. :D:D Good things do come out of very bad situations.

Like Ann my "dream" life is probably not going to have a "Happily Ever After" I thought it would, but "Right now" it is happy.

Debbie

Husband Alan DX small cell lung cancer Jan 10th 2005

I would have to say yes. As a child I would try to repair things. I remember 2 specific things I tried to fix. I never owned a bicycle. There was one sitting at the school where I attended. It had a flat tire and needed a tube. Now being from a poor family and not having any money, I took the bicycle. I loved putting model cars together. I took some model car glue and tried to glue a patch on it. I forgot to mention that the tube was split and not just a puncture. What I did was cut the tube completly and slipped one end in the other. It held together and I was proud of myself for taking nothing and making something out of it.And now as Paul Harvey says "Page Two."

I put the tire back on the bike and started pmping it up. The tire got larger and larger. All at once I heard air.....Now you know the rest of the story.

At age 6 or 7, I got my first pair of PJ's for Christmas. Two or 3 days before school let out for the holidays, a boy in my class got burned with hot water.He went in hospital. He had no pajamas. Well, he got my new pair.

At age 12 selling cards door to door. Anyone remember that? At 14 I was delivering newspapers on foot....still no bicycle. Walked about 4 1/2 miles per day. Bought my first car and paid cash for it.

So yes, my life turned out about the way I thought it might. I am pleased....Hard worker who believes in repairing what can be repaired to save someone a buck.Still trying to help the other person as I did with the PJ's.

Well when I was very little I wanted to be a cowgirl. Then in Junior high my best friend and I figured we would share an apartment and be librarians. In high school I considered becoming a nun and doing missionary work or being a mom. I chose the later. I have a wonderful hubby and 2 great daughters.

As a kid, I thought I would be a school teacher and have a family. Well, I became a research chemist, but have worked with people in some form or fashion. I did marry and have a family. My life has been blessed beyond my wildest dreams as a kid. I have been able to do so much for myself and for others. Don

No, my adult life is nothing like the life I imagined as a child. I never ever in a million years thought I'd have 3 children. As a kid I thought I'd be either a nurse or a secretary. Here I am running a non-profit that employs about 200 people--don't ask me how that happened, I don't have a clue. :lol:

I wanted to be an actress. Don't ask me why I really don't know. Later I decided that I wanted to be a wife and mother. I really believed in the hapily ever after even after watching what my mom went through.

I did become a wife and mother but somehow the hapily ever after got lost. In my wildest imagination I would never have dreamed what I am doing now. I always found myself taking care of people from the time I was 15 and my mom got hurt. So I guess I have really not strayed far from the life of being a mom. What could be more caregiving than that?

I remember that I wanted to marry a man as nice as my Daddy, or I wasn't having any. I did attain that.

I wanted kids...I have that.

I wanted to be a teacher...that's me.

But, honest to goodness, there are times that I look around and I'm still not sure that this is my life. How bizzare is that? I look at this little people living with me, and wonder why they are calling me Mom. What makes them think I can fix all of their problems?

So I guess it really is all I wanted...and I know I'm blessed...just not sure what to do with it all sometimes.

:) Kelly

I thought I would be an old maid doctor--I've always had an interest in medicine and was very shy with the guys. Changed my mind about a career after I took chemistry and biology in college. Changed my mind about the "old maid" when I met Charlie on "the strip" at the Univ. of TN.

Life has been so good. These last 22 months have helped me with my priorities. He and I (by his side) will fight to the death and then enjoy eternity together in Heaven.

If you don't have a relationship with the Heavenly Father, I encourage you to pursue it. It will be life changing for eternity.