Noth Carolina November

RandyW

LUNG CANCER AWARENESS MONTH

BY THE GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA

A PROCLAMATION

WHEREAS, according the American Cancer Society, during 2005 lung cancer will claim the lives of more than 170,000 Americans – over 5,000 of them in North Carolina; and

WHEREAS, according the American Cancer Society, lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths in all of the United States for both men and women; and

WHEREAS, according the American Cancer Society, 85% of people diagnosed with lung cancer die within five years of their initial diagnosis; and

WHEREAS, according the American Cancer Society, genetics, environmental factors and as yet undetermined factors are all causes of lung cancer and 5,520 new cases of lung cancer will be diagnosed in North Carolina this year; and

WHEREAS, early detection plays a crucial role in increasing the rate of lung cancer survivors; and

WHEREAS, the American Cancer Society encourages continued monitoring of the effectiveness of spiral CT scans as well as other experimental diagnostic tools; and

WHEREAS, North Carolinians are encouraged to become familiar with the sometimes vague symptoms associated with cancer;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, MICHAEL F. EASLEY, Governor of the State of North Carolina, do hereby proclaim November as “LUNG CANCER AWARENESS MONTH” in North Carolina and commend this observance to our citizens.

MICHAEL F. EASLEY

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and affixed the Great Seal of the State of North Carolina at the Capitol in Raleigh this twenty-eighth day of September in the year of our Lord two thousand and five, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirtieth.