oh-my-gosh, you guys are the BEST!!

mollysbaby

:D I am so glad that I found this support group. I read every reply and they were all very good advice. I didn't mention something in my newcomer message, I AM A SMOKER also. I have been such a hypocrite to my mom. I started smoking at age 22 because my boyfried at the time smoked and like an idiot, I thought it was "cool" to smoke. Growing up, I would fuss at my mom for smoking and swore that I would never smoke. She didn't find out that I smoked until I was almost 25 years old. I didn't smoke in front of her until I was 28 years old. Memories of me telling her that I would never smoke have resurfaced and feelings of quilt have overwhelmed me. Today we made a pact. We are going to try to quit together. If it doesn't work as a team effort, we'll work on her first and then me. THANK YOU all for every encouraging word that I read. I should know better to believe every statistic that I am told. My grandfather had triple bypass heart surgery when I was 13 years old and the doctor told us that he wouldn't live 6 months. He didn't live six months, he lived 6 more years...and he DIDN'T even die of heart-related issues. He contracted hepatitis from the blood transfusion from the heart surgery....go figure. Again, THANKS to everyone!! I will spend everyday and every moment with my mother and make the best of it. She knows that I love her and I know she loves me. GOD BLESS to everyone.

Growing up, I would fuss at my mom for smoking and swore that I would never smoke. She didn't find out that I smoked until I was almost 25 years old. I didn't smoke in front of her until I was 28 years old.

You reminded me of myself! Only it was my dad who smoked - I gave him a terrible time. He quit. But I started at age 15. My dad was so shocked and disappointed. He and mom knew, but I would NEVER smoke in their presence. I was too ashamed or embarrassed. Dad died when I was 18 (heart disease/cancer) and mom when I was 26 (pancreatic cancer) but she NEVER saw me smoke - I just couldn't do it. Gave me a sense of relief to know someone else had a hard time smoking in front of a parent, too! :wink:

Good luck to both of you! You CAN quit! It just takes a plan and sticking to it. Check out some of the past posts here about quitting (type "quit smoking" in the Search box.) If you want some cheerleaders to help you keep going, just let us know! Lots of people here will help motivate you both.

Leslie

Hi Abra,

Good luck to you and your mom. You can do this, I know you can. Try the patch or gum and see if that works!!

We are pulling for you here.... This is important stuff, you can do it, you gotta believe. And you know, it will work because you want to stop. It has to be something you want to do. Make it your passion..

Maryanne :wink:

I wuit 6 years ago, having started at 12 years old. I set a date, used a patch. you can do it!!!

lean on me/us as much as you have to.

find someone you can call a dozen times a day, if you have to, each time you feel like you HAVE to have a smoke.

there you go, unsolicited advice. :lol:

xoxo

bunny

Hi Abra, I just dropped a note to cheer you on! I want to come out and say I used to smoke too, started when I was around 18 or 19. Smoked on and off, mostly with smoking friends or when everybody else was asleep. I smoked more when I felt lonely or depressed. I stopped when my dad was diagnosed. Fortunately, I didn't have a hard time stopping. I crave a cig every now and then, but so far I am able to control myself. There you go, story of my life. :)

Good luck, you guys can do it!