New to this

Debra

Debra,

You have come to a good place to learn, vent and find compassion. I am sure it is tough working in an oncologists office and dealing with your own cancer. I am a nurse, diagnosed a year ago and find it extremely difficult on many a day to deal with it. The best thing is to work (I went back full time three weeks post op from a thoracotomy...stupid, but it helped my mental health)!

There are no easy fixes and your life will never be as it was before cancer, but it is manageable. Treat it if possible as a chronic disease that you have to watch closely.

Enjoy everyday as best as you can and know you are not alone in your fight.

Welcome Debra. We are a giant but close, warm family here. We support, provide information sharing and listen when you want to cry, vent or just be. I am sure that it is hard on you to work in an oncology office. There are many things about each chemo that you understand that we have to find out for ourselves. I hope you will come here for support and share your knowledge with us as well.

Nina

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone---I am very overwhelmed at how many responded to me when I first wrote in November.Thank you so much!!! I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you but I wanted to wait until I had been rescanned again. I had my last CT scan 12/9/05 in Seattle and it came back showing that I have three enlarging lymph nodes in my lung so I have started on an oral chemo called Tarceva. I started it today and will be rescanned in 4 weeks. Depending on what that scan shows, I may need to go on a more aggressive chemo along with radiation therapy. In the meantime, I shall continue to keep a positive attitude as I look at this as just a small bump in the road in this journey called "lung cancer".

If anyone would like to personally email me, my email address has changed to bikerbabe55@hotmail.com. I would love to hear from any of you.I am very grateful for your responses and your support!!! Take care everyone and I hope to hear from you soon!!! You all are in my thoughts and prayers daily!!!

Love,

Debra Miller

Debra,

Good to hear back from you. Your attitude will serve you well. Hope the Tarceva does the job and your get to post in the "Good News" forum next time!

Are you still going to work? Is it easier or more difficult for you now that you are also an experienced patient? I'm sure it allows you to offer more empathy to patients as well as knowing better than many of your co-workers what the patients feel is important to their care.

Keep in touch, Have a wonderful holiday season.

Leslie

thanks for sharing your story...Pam was diagnosed as stage IV in June of 2004 and I wish I could keep up with her. Please use hers and the other great information that is shared on this site as inspiration and a source of support...I've found this site to be extremely informative and even more loving and caring!

Take care and keep us posted.

-Kyle

Welcome Debra,

Wow, I just love your attitude. You are a true inpiration, and as much as I know you will always be able to find love, support and wisdom here, I also get the feeling we will receive as much good from your joining us as we give. Your positive outlook just shines and brightens us here.