Steroids

Candy

Has anyone had adverse reactions to being on steroids? Hugh is taking 5 mgs of Decedron (sp?) 4x/day. This week actually we are decreasing it to 3x/day and next week to 2x/day until he is off of it. BUT, he is a mess emotionally. I have never seen him like this. He is more than irritable he is have horrible mood swings and any little irritation will blow up into something huge. I am assuming its the steroids as it began about 2 days after he started them. We are seeing the doctor tomorrow about his blood clot and I intend to discuss this with them, but in the meantime I wondered it other people had trouble with it. In addition to the mood swings its destroyed his stomach even though he is taking stomach meds with it. They will have to do some heavy selling before I let them put him on this stuff again. He has been on Prednesone before and this doesn't happen. I want him OFF this stuff and I am feeling pretty helpless because I know I can't just take it away because he has to come off them slowly. I am discouraged and so is Hugh.

Candy

I always have had a very bad reaction to steriods. They give me Decadron by IV before they start the chemo and they have had to cut it down to 1/2 of the normal dose. I get super hyper, can't sleep hardly at all, up till 4 a.m. or so, irritable, almost manic, face gets flushed and stays red, heart races, etc, some people are more sensitive to steroids than others, they will probably have to cut his dose down

Bess B

YES, YES, YES, IM TAKING 4MG THREE TIMES A DAY AND I CANT STAND MY SELF I THINK I MIGHT END UP GETTING FIRED SOON OR PUNCHING SOMEONE IN THE HEAD. I TOLD MY WIFE I AM JUST MAD AT EVERYONE AND EVERY THING PLUS, DONT FORGET HE HAS TO TAKE THEM WITH FOOD.

THANK YOU!!! I feel so much better now. I will talk to the doctor about it tomorrow but just knowing that it is something that can happen makes me less anxious. He is either overly nice or overly angry every minute of the day. I think when he is being overly nice its because he is trying NOT to give into the anger he is feeling. Its a little bit like he has had too much to drink. THIS SUCKS!

He takes them with food and if food isn't available he drinks a glass of milk. The druggist told us yesterday that sometimes the doctor will let you take Maalox first though she couldn't advise us to do it because she said you have to get the doctor's permission because Maalox blocks the effectiveness of some medicine.