How old is this website?

carolhg

The reason that I ask is because most of the survivors here are less than 5 years. I am wondering if that is because the site is less than 5 years also. Just curious, I will be forever grateful that this site was here when I went desperately surfing the web for information, help and support.

Carol

Carol,

I'm a 6 year, 5 month, 7 day survivor, but I didn't join this version of this group until 2003. I'll leave it to Katie and Rick to explain how they began in the beginning, joined forces with someone else, then morphed into this site after having done the greatest majority of the work on this site by themselves.

From the home page:

LCSC- (lchelp.com/.org) was created and developed in October of 2002

I joined June 11, 2003. Of course, in October of 2002, I hadn't even been diagnosed.

I believe that many who are long-term survivors don't actively seek out "support" online like newly diagnosed people. With the terror of the new diagnosis comes the NEED to find survivors, to know that others have beat the disease...

Duh, thanks Snowflake. I missed that. I am ashamed of myself too. I always tell my students to read for detail and information and I did not do it myself. Not to mention IT IS RIGHT AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!! Thank you. :oops:

Carol

I want to ditto what Snowflake said. A lot of survivors understandably want to move on and not read about cancer every day. Plus they don't need the support and information as much :)

My aunt was a 12 year survivor. She never ever even talked about her LC.