Sheer Frustration......

Fay A.

I'm not going to make it to the Lung Cancer Awareness Event at City of Hope today because of the rain. We're being hit by 1 to 2 inches an hour and this is expected to continue through tomorrow. We're under flash flood warnings right through the areas I would have to travel on the 3 plus hour drive to Duarte. I can't do the Gaviota Pass under these conditions....maybe if I had a Hummer, but my little Saturn does not handle well in heavy rain on mountain roads prone to mud and land slides.

I've spent a lot of time working on projects for this event and I could just bite nails right now.

I am so frustrated by this... :shock:

Fay,

I feel the frustration with you.

All I can offer is something you have heard a gabillion times:

All things happen for a reason and for good.

Though it is something we hear often I truly truly believe it.

We are so sorry your efforts are unrewarded FOR NOW.

Lots of love

Pat

"I am as frustrated as a pyromaniac in a petrified forest." - some guy from Saturday Night Live

Fay,

Here's the flip side of WOOOHOOO:

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Can you send the things you want to contribute to ANOTHER lung cancer event with one of our members who will go? Not the same as you going, but at least you'll get to hear about the people who responded to, and appreciated, your efforts.

Think about that later. Right now, I'm sorry the weather has ruined this for you today.

Leslie

Oh Fay, I am so sorry :( I can imagine your frustration. I hate when the rain prevents you from doing stuff :(

Katie--I can't go to the event either b/c I have to work today and be home by 8pm for my shots. City of Hope is a bit over an hour away with NO traffic. Of course even if I was going, I w ouldn't go b/c I HATE driving in the rain. :( Southern Californians just don't know how to do it and it makes it dangerous

Katie and Ry,

I live 170 miles from the City of Hope Medical Center (one way), the rain is in my local area and for about the first 80 miles of my route to Duarte. I can't tell if Southern California is being hit with it, but from the radar shots it looks like they will be if they aren't already. Becky CW lives about 20 miles away from City of Hope. My local news just reported multiple accidents on Hyws 1 and 246. Cars and trucks going off the road. There are areas in Santa Barbara County that are reporting 2 feet of water, so there is no way to get the posters, etc. to Becky CW.

Katie, I did find Becky CW's phone number, telephoned and left a voice mail message for her.

The weather report said the rain was supposed to be moderate, it was supposed to be here yesterday, and it was supposed to be gone by today! Arrrrgh!

Why today?

Fay, I am so sorry, you worked so hard on this. My cold is better but the rain is suppose to hit us this afternoon and I can't drive in the rain either. Could you send the items you have prepared and I will put them at the LCSC table on Saturday at the Wellness Community happening? I believe BeckyCW is going to be there also. Maybe you could come down for that one, I think it is suppose to be dry by then.

I just talked to my husband and it is pouring in Camarillo and he is heading for Santa Barbara this afternoon. I always worry. I am glad you are not making the drive. Take care, and think about Saturday. It is 8:30-12:30. Long drive for only a few hours, but we could go to lunch after.

Hugs,

Nancy B

I'm going to contact the Cancer Center in Santa Barbara and ask if I can set up a table at their facility sometime this month. I'll use the things there, if they will let me. If not then I'll pass them on to someone else having an event. I'm just frustrated because I wanted to be present at THIS event, today, at City of Hope. In my opinion City of Hope has not done much in the way of support or advocacy for those who have Lung Cancer. Dr. Grannis, Thoracic Surgeon at C of H has pretty much been the single voice of concern at that facility for a long time. They are doing this event and I very much wanted to be a part of it because there will be a lot of people there who would benefit from what the Lung Cancer Support Community has to offer. I also wanted to make certain that the 18,000 to 27,000 Never Smokers who will be diagnosed with Lung Cancer this year are not forgotten. It is a "small percentage" of Lung Cancer patients, but it is NOT a small number of patients.

So, my disappointment isn't so much about me wanting to be seen there as it is about me wanting LCSC to become widely known, and my need to be vocal about Smoking not being the only smoking gun when it comes to developing Lung Cancer.

Fay,

Remember sometimes the Lord sometimes works in mysterious ways. Maybe there is a reason you can't make it today. Try not to let this upset you so much. Something good will come from your efforts, I feel sure of it. In the meantime, find yourself a good book, a cuppa hot coffee or tea, curl up and relax. Thank you for all you do.

Love,

Sue

Well, I hope Fay can relax with that nice cup of tea later today, but right now she's still busy trying to make sure this event works out. :wink:

We just talked, and she's going to send me what she can by email, and I'll print it out and do my best to present it nicely at the LCSC information table today at the City of Hope event. My biggest disappointment is that I won't be able to meet Fay today in person at long last. (My next biggest disappointment is that I won't get to see the posters and notebooks she's put together... not today, I mean.)

Thank goodness Katie always prepares for everything -- I have a stash of LCSC materials I can take. And one of Andrea's bracelets to wear, and a new pink LCSC t-shirt... Now if only I'd ordered my LCSC cookbook from the other Andrea in time to have THAT there...

Anyway, LCSC will be represented today -- I'm just sorry there can't be more of us there, and especially sorry about Fay's predicament. I saw the flood warnings on the web, and it's a serious situation up there. Here, we'll only have plain old rain.

I'll report back in tonight.

BeckyCW

Becky, thanks for doing this. I know it means alot to Fay. I have several cookbooks, but I am at work in Sunland (cookbook is at home) and I won't be able to leave today until 4:00. Don't see anyway to get one to you. I am looking forward to meeting you on Saturday.

Hugs,

Nancy B

Oh Fay...I know how frustrated you must be. You put so much effort into preparing for this. I can't blame you for not driving in all that rain. Here in Florida, we have had so much rain this year that the ground is absolutely staurated. Just a little rain causes standing water and I'm really paranoid to drive through standing water. You know, there will be another event that you can attend and put all of this hard work to great use! Don't feel bad and beat yourself up over this one! Your heart was in the right place and we all love you for it!

Hi Fay,

So sorry for your delimma. Unfortunately, we cannot stop mother nature from throwing us curves. :shock: She certainly has been making her mark lately. :cry:

Try to relax hon as there is nothing that can be done. I know you are so dissapointed but there is always next time.

Becky good luck with everything. Will be thinking about you.

Maryanne

Becky, Fay and all.... the cooperation and support on this board moves me to tears. I obviously have nothing to offer to make it any easier that it rained but we have all grown used to things stopping us when it seems most frustrating. We know Fay will make sure the message gets out. There seems to be a bigger message here of a spirit that won't be crushed. I truly love you all.