Our Debi, is a celebrity!

KatieB

So are Andrea's cookbooks! They are making their first public appearance with Debi from OK! (wink)

Here is the article. GREAT JOB Debi, and NO NO NO the pic of you isn't bad. (Duh)

Arts and crafts festival visits Ardmore

By Sheila J. Robinson

Staff Writer

okdebi.jpg

Lung cancer is a deep penetrating subject for Debi Walsh. She's a lung cancer survivor.

Walsh will have a booth set up at the Ardmore Fall Festival in the Ardmore Convention Center, 2401 N. Rockford Road this weekend. Hours for the arts and crafts festival will be 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday.

Walsh transferred here to Ardmore with 1-800-flowers.com five years ago and has been living in the area ever since. She's been active with an online support community for lung cancer, www.lchelp.org, for over two years.

"So many people have died," Walsh said. "At this point, I feel that I have to do something. It's really hard for me to do this. It's Lung Cancer Awareness Month. Because of the stigma of smoking with lung cancer, people kind of hang their heads in shame a lot about it."

Walsh's booth will have information and brochures about lung cancer, a cookbook with recipes from lung cancer survivors and caregivers all over the county, and some arts and crafts.

"Lung cancer is such an under-funded cancer and people aren't aware of the fact that if they find it early you can survive it," Walsh said. "Fifty percent of the people that have lung cancer quit smoking years ago. I'm not going to deny that smoking doesn't contribute to it. We have lung cancer now. What are we going to do about it? Let's find a cure for it."

Ardmore Fall Festival features arts and crafts, a food fair, Amish baked goods, entertainment and hourly drawings. The first 300 customers each day will receive a free Kid's Meal from Ryan's Steakhouse. Booth space and other information is available by calling (580) 226-4843 or (580) 504-1917.

Fast facts about lung cancer provided by the online Lung Cancer Support Community at www.lchelp.org:

Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths in the U.S.

Lung cancer kills almost twice as many women as breast cancer, making it the No. 1 cancer killer of women.

An alarming number of younger women who have never smoked have lung cancer.

Approximately $1,200 per lung cancer death is spent on research for a cure, compared with $11,425 for breast cancer, $8,190 for prostrate cancer.

This year 172,570 people in the U.S. will be diagnosed with lung cancer. Of those, 163,510 will die. In Oklahoma, 2,580 will be diagnosed and 2,440 will die.

Eighty percent of lung cancer cases are diagnosed in the final stages since symptoms are overlooked. Early detection is the key to survival.

Thirty-five to 40 percent of new lung cancer cases are current smokers. Former smokers make up 50 percent of new lung cancer cases. People who have never smoked comprise 10-15 percent of cases.

Sheila J. Robinson, 221-6536

sheila.robinson@ardmoreite.com

Well thanks everyone, but I have to tell you, that is actually probably one of the worse pictures ever taken of me, and of course, it is on page 3 of the daily newspaper, the one everyone reads. I have had people I haven't talked to in years call me today just to ask me what is up with my picture. :shock::roll: So much for taking one for the team....

Anyway, I was glad that they wanted to write an article on me, I had sent out a letter to the paper, and most of what they put they got from the letter. of course they are writing the article and you can't really tell how it is going to turn out and what will be used and what won't. This is a small town and I am so grateful that someone took an interest in anything I said, and that she included some of the lung cancer facts I sent.

I am glad that if anyone is interested in support, she put this website in the article, and now everyone knows that we will be there this weekend. So that's the important part..

Debi,

If anyone can represent our cause well, it is you. I hope you run out of cookbooks etc.

The irony of this weekend: my niece and her husband who live in Tulsa will be meeting me in Raleigh for a family party. I am taking cookbooks down to give to my nieces. So, I can't even encourage them to travel to your show.

Good luck. Give Katie a big kiss from all of us.

I am proud of you Debi. :mrgreen: That is a great article. Really tells it like it is. And having this website link on this hopefully will bring more people here who are diagnoised and needs support.

Bestest of luck this weekend. I know it will be a hugh success. I want to see pics of you, Katie, Kelly and anyone else who show up for this site.

I hope you sell out of cookbooks. :D

Maryanne :wink:

Kelly,

I gave Debi our LCSC banner. It's HUGE and yellow (can you say school bus) and it says LCSC on it.

She is going to hand it off the side of the table, OR if her table is in front of a wall, maybe she will hang it there- Either way you can't miss it!

I'm actually meeting Debi tomorrow night to give her the rest of the things I have made.

The event is Fri-Sun.

I'll see everyone on Saturday!

Well....I, for one, am sorta disappointed. I read thru the whole article, and NOT ONE MENTION OF CHICKENS OR THE CHICKEN CULT! Tres disappointing. :roll:

Debi, darlin'....we are always more self-critical about our own photos and anyone who calls and asks what's wrong....you tell 'em you, your friend Addie and decadron will be right over to explain! :wink:

You're a star just like Katie says. And you look great. I cannot see ONE feather sticking out of a tooth. I'm so proud.

(Can you tell I got decadron again today? :roll: )