Mom started Hospice

Hi Everyone, I finally signed my Mom up for Hospice as she was coughing up blood and the doctors say if she wants no nmore treatment there is nothing they can do for her. She didnt actually agree or disagree when I told her but I told her we needed help to make sure we took care of her well.

So far Im not too impressed with them, maybe it will change. The initial nurse was very sweet with my Mom but she was the sign up person. After her we got a different person.

Any way, does anyone have any experience/advice on the coughing up blood issue??The doctors seem to say nothing is to be done but it is very scary? Does this mean this is close to the end?ALl input is appreciated...Janet

I don't have a lot of answers for you, but I wanted to say that I'm sorry you find yourself here. I know it is hard.

Also, if things with the hospice organization don't improve see if there isn't another that you could use. You need these people to be dependable so you can set your mind at ease and focus on just loving your Mom and being with her.

We're here to support you. (((((hugs))))))

I am very sorry you are at this point with your mother. :( But, my experiences with hospice have been very nice. They were experts and provided comfort for the patients and family. If you don't feel this way, please let the proper people know. Take are, I am praying for you and your family. God bless, Nancy

Janet,

How much blood has she been coughing up and for how long? My Mom coughed up blood a few months ago, it lasted for a few days with the most blood being the first 2 days and a negligible amount the next few days, they did a CT scan and broncoscopy and found that it wasn't related to cancer. It hasn't happened since then and we never knew what caused it.

Coughing up blood is scary, but I don't know if it's a sign that she is close to the end? What does your doctor say? How is your mother feeling otherwise? how advanced is she?

Rana

I am so sorry that you are having a bad experience with Hospice. Just give it a bit more time and things may improve. I know that I was bitter with the world when Hospice entered my home to help care for Dennis. Yes, I was thankful for the help and the pain management but I was bitter and angry that his illness had reached this level. It took me a few days to get my head on straight and realize that the Hospice caregivers were very nice and caring people. I was highly resentive, at first, when they gave me all the literature about preparing for "the end." I didn't want to hear that and was not anywhere ready to read about it or discuss it. If things don't improve after a few days, then by all means request a different nurse or switch to a different Hospice. I'm saying prayers for you and your mom!