Heahaches...should I be scared?

Nushka

For the last 3 weeks I have had a headache almost daily (there were about 4 days I did not). They seem to be starting on the left side of my head, sorta on top. I thought it was sinus headaches and went to the doctor who agreed with me and put me on antibiotics. He also ordered a CT scan of my sinuses. The scan came back clear but the headaches seem to be getting worse. Tonight it was so bad that percocet did not stop it. Of course you all know what I am worried about.

My next scans are scheduled for Dec 7 and do NOT include an MRI of the brain. I am scheduled for a "whole" body CT/PET combo.

My questions are should I move it up? Should I ask for the MRI? Would a sinus CT show a brain tumor? Of those of you that have had brain mets, did your headache stay continuously? Or were there a few hours a day that you were not in pain?

I am worried.

Nina

If you are worried have them do the scan. I asked my doc to include a head CT when i began having vision problems. He had only neck to pelvis scan scheduled. So glad I did because they found the one brain met. I thought it had to do with the MS but that was not the case. Headaches are not a problem for me but I would be concerned if they were as constant as yours are. Tell the doc you are worried and would like to know what is causing the headaches. praying for you. pammie

When my Dad had brain mets he DID NOT have headaches at all.... Just a bit of FYI for yourself, Daddy had a PET SCAN 2 weeks before being diagnosed with the brain tumor. Pet Scans DO NOT pick up brain tumors... you definetely need to ask for an MRI like Ginny suggested. I am praying this turns out to be NOTHING...

Nina,

Ask your doctor for an MRI. A CT won't show what you're not looking for (cuz you're NOT looking for that, right?)...

Is there anything else going on with your headaches? Loss of short-term memory, photo-sensitivity, nausea, aversion to sound, loss of balance?

Last summer, I had most of the things I just listed, along with a cluster of headaches. I had a CT and then an MRI - the radiologist explained that the MRI shows much more in-depth stuff. In fact, from my MRI, I was diagnosed as a migraine sufferer. Seems that migraines leave a residue in the brain, a white "plaque".

Further testing showed some white matter damage, something that will heal, but was there, nonetheless.

I would suggest you have a picture of your head just for your own peace of mind...

...and when they come back negative, have your doctor check you for seasonal allergies. Mine begin with headaches, even if I never get the sniffles.

Don't worry about the headaches, the stress will trigger more of them. We'll both "not worry" together, okay?

Take care,

Becky

Nina,I don't think headaches mean you know what but we all seem to worry every time headaches show up.

If you do request scans I think too that you need to request an mri.

I hope the headaches go away and nothing is wrong.

PS:I always try 4 or 5 bud lites and 2 or 3 chocolate donuts whenever I get headaches.Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.(just trying to make you smile :)

For your own peace of mind, call your doc now and ask for a scan. Worrying can make the headacehs worse :)

Odds are it is nothing, millions and millions of Americans (myself included) suffer from chronic headaches. Yet when dealing with what we know, we worry more, so why not get peace of mind ASAP :)

Let us know!

I want to thank all of you for your replies. Becky, I am very sensitive to light. Makes me think of migranes. Anyway, I have decided to call my oncologist and ask for an MRI. The sooner the better but he may schedule them in Dec when I have my other scans already set up. I will certainly let you all know what is decided.

I appreciate all of your good thoughts and prayers and hope you will continue. I need this group.

Nina

I agree with everyone's advice to get a brain MRI. I had brain mets with no headaches, so be automatically assume you are in trouble.

I know how every little thing can be a scare - but that's what dovtor's are there for. I call whenever something seems out of the norm.

Best wishes for you.

Mary

Nina,

I just wanted to add that I agree with the others that suggested putting your mind at ease and getting the MRI of your head. When Bill began having headaches they were not at all consistent. He would go a week without one and then have one for about an hour ever six to eight hours...nothing consistent about it. If possible, put your mind at ease.

Best of luck to you and my prayers Nina!

I never really had headaches, but I would get very dizzy and light-headed when I stood up. I bumped my head the day before I was diagnosed and it HURT so bad!!! It shouldn't have been that painful because it was just a bump, but of course I didn't know my brain was swollen, etc.

Most folks like me, had other symptoms, Nina. Sharyn is right, my neuro-surgeon said a pet won't pick up brain tumors, so insist on an mri. Get it checked out but don't let it worry you too much, could be migraines like you said.

Melanie

Thank you boys and girls for all of your kind thoughts and replies. Would you believe it? I haven't had a headache since Friday afternoon. I have, however, developed a terrible bronchitis and cough. It may have been my body warning me that I was about to get very sick. My doc thinks it is a virus infection since I just got off of a series of 14 days of Tequin. Finished my antibiotics for a mild cough on Nov 8 and got really sick on Nov 12. I have no idea what is going on and will still ask for an MRI but meanwhile stay clear and don't let me sneeze on any of you.

You folks are the greatest support group any one could ask for. Thanks again.

Nina