Getting to Know You - November 10

Ann

A speech teacher I had in high school. She taught me extemporaneous speaking, called "informative speaking" at the time. I actually won a state contest with her guidance! She was really wonderful though -- she'd get SO excited when her students did well, and supported us to the hilt. Sadly, she was fired, because she refused to pass football players out of her English classes so that they could graduate and play college ball.

I didn't know it at the time, but my piano teacher when I was little gave me many life lessons in the years I went to her house once a week for lessons. She and her husband were retired teachers. She was so very prim and proper -- wore a little lace kerchief tucked daintily into her watchband.

Two amazing women. I'll never forget either of them.

Di

Without a doubt, my band teacher. I started playing clarinet in the fifth grade. Mr. Collins was young and had beautiful brown eyes. All of the girls loved him. He was very intelligent...MENSA member....and I was a little redneck gal from the hills of East Tennessee. He was my band director all through high school. Through his guidance and instruction, our band won many championships during those years. He introduced us to classical music and many of the worlds finer things. I will be eternally grateful to him for truly broadening my horizons.

My instructor in college. He knew I had test anxiety before I did, and did everything he could to help me get over it. He believed in me, and told me he knew I knew the material and that I would be a good therapist. Without he helping me, I don't think I would be doing today what I've done for 14 yrs. now. Helping people breath better!

My babysitter as a kid. She took care of me from the time I was 6 weeks old. She was an older woman and I called her Grandma. I think I was about 9 before I realized we really weren't related. My childhood after age 7 was not a good one. My parents suffered the loss of my 18 month old sister and my father was never the same. Without her in my life I, I don't know what would have happened to me. She used to tell everyone she raised me-- and that was true. We were close until she died.

My babysitter as well. She was an older lady and home bound most of the time because of a bad heart. She taught me to crochet, embroider and sew when I was about 5 years old. I think it was her and Mama who made me a real homebody at heart.

As a teenager I would have to say Johnny. He shaped many of my ideas and taught me to always look for the good in people.