Support Group

Joelswife

The good news is we found a cancer support group nearby that meets once a month. Frankly, I feel like we could use once a week right now but I'm thrilled to have this one. Joel seemed happier, more animated and smiled more than I've seen him in weeks. On the way home, he said this was the best thing ever for him. He's always been pretty social and was inspired by some of the other people. I am better on a web site support group because of time constraints.

We have decided to fire our oncologist. Another good thing about support groups is that they are a wealth of local information and were able to refer us to a different one. We've been unhappy with our oncologist and feel she has made some mistakes, definitely has a God complex and is far from warm and fuzzy. Wish us luck on the new one.

Joel has a procedure at the hospital tomorrow where they are shooting phenobarbitol into the nerves near his surgery incision to combat his great pain. He will be happy if it takes away half of his pain.

Wish us luck!

So glad to know you found a support group nearby and that Joel feel better when he goes! It's so comforting and reassuring to know other people are in the same boat and you don't have to go through this alone!

When you first get dx'd, you feel like you have been sucked out of the real world into some little Twilight Zone where you are suddenly so "different" from everyone else. Support groups (on computer or in person) remind you that you're still YOU, still part of the real world, and you're still someone who other people can laugh with and relate to.

Congrats on getting rid of an oncologist who didn't help you feel confident and well-cared for. You deserve only the best!

Hope these treatments help Joel feel better physically. Will keep my fingers crossed they'll do the trick! Hang in there, Joel!!

Leslie

Hope this new procedure works its magic and gets rid of the pain. If you have doubts about the care you are recieving from your oncologist, firing her is the exact thing to do. Glad you made this choice. You know, warm fuzzies and personality go a long way in making a doctor successful. Dennis' oncologist was a wonderful doctor plus a really warm and fuzzy man. Everyone at MD Anderson referred to him as "the big teddy bear." His approach made us feel as if he was a friend who really cared about Dennis as a person and not just another case or statistic. I'm also glad to hear about the support group! I think this is great! I'll be saying prayers that the phenobarbital works wonders!

I am so glad you are finding a new oncologist - we did the same thing early on, and I am so happy we did. Now we have a caring, yet candid doctor who spends as much time as necessary with us (including coming to the house to discuss test results!) The one thing I have really learned is that every patient and every family has different ways of dealing and respond differently to approaches (althoug it sounds like the issues with your first oncologist were greater than that.)

I will keep you and your husband in my prayers...I hope that the pain lessens, as I know that will change both of your lives.

Thinking of you,

Holly

Mrs. Joel,

Good luck with the new doctor. I found my surgeon to be rather cold, BUT, I only saw him the day of my surgery and on his rounds while I was in the hospital and I didn't need warm/fuzzy, I needed damn good.

Now, I follow with my oncologist. He talks to me, asks me questions, asks if I have questions, looks me right in the eye when he talks to me, and touches me. No, not inappropriately, but he TOUCHES me, he doesn't act as if cancer is contagious and shy away from contact. I think that is part of the reason I am comfortable with him and confident that he is looking out for my best interest, he sees value in me as a human being.

Not all my doctors have needed good bedside manner, just the ones I follow with. I'm willing to pay for skill and deal with a cold fish if I don't have to do it often, otherwise, I want someone who knows that I'm NOT "just another patient" and sees me as a person who needs a bit of help that they can provide...

Take care,

Becky

I know just what you mean. It's funny because the surgeon was very handsome, sweet, funny and warm (and very capable). The onc didn't even take the gauze off Joel's neck tumor to look at it and when I asked if she would look at it, said that wasn't necessary, she was sure it was draining and only radiation would help. She was very annoyed when we got a second opinion and told me she thought the 2 week delay had probably made it too late for the radiation to help him. Perhaps there has just been too much negativity and she sees Joel as a non-compliant problem patient. We have an appt on Wed with the new onc and are hopeful. At this very vulnerable time in our lives, we just need all the positive reinforcement we can find. Probably should have fired her when she misdiagnosed his neck tumor as a side effect of chemo.

Before this whole cancer thing, the word oncologist wasn't even in my vocabulary. I'm still learning every day.

Take care,

Pam

I wish you great luck with the new onc. We love Mom's to pieces...he always has as much time for her as she wants/needs whether he is doing rounds at the hospital or in his office. We generally have to wait for awhile to get into our app't, because he gives the same attention to others, but he has made such a difference for our Mom.

Keep us posted!

:) Kelly