chemo radiation

myrnalu

Has anyone ever had a port for chemo?how is it?also my onc says radiation is pretty quick,How quick?

what are premeds?to help keep my weight,i take blood pressure meds and cant take some meds.

Marie

ps ive tried to put a pix on my profile,it didnt work?must be doing something wrong

The port is awesome. None of the veins in my arm worked. The first I.V. took 11 sticks ( not exaggerating). I have had great success with my port- they can draw blood from it, give you anesthesia, that radioactive stuff for scans and chemo. I hardly even notice it's there. One thing, when you get it make sure you ask to be anesthesized. I got mine with only local and I promise you that won's happen again.

The actual radiation process only takes about five minutes. When i went to get my marks at the beginning that took a little longer.

Hope this helps!!

God Bless,

Jamie

Marie,

For radiation, you'll end up with tattoos. It kinda hurts, but it really is just a pin prick. You will be put on a "pillow" that will then be formed around you so that every day you are in the exact same position. The techs will line up you in your cradle/pillow and line up the tattoos with the machine and draw more lines. The actual radiation doesn't take long at all, prepping for it does!

You will be all lined up on the table and then the table is raised. The techs will all leave the room and you will be "lit up" for maybe 15 seconds. Some people (about 10% and I was one of 'em) experience a metallic taste while they are being radiated - this is while the ray is on. If you find that you have the taste, suck on sour candy like Altoids Sours (tangerine were my favorite, now there's raspberry as well).

Your radiation oncologist will run down the dos and don'ts for you - no hot tubs for a while. No lotion prior to the treatment, etc. For discomfort while swallowing, talk to the nurse and refer to past posts here. That shouldn't take place until after the second week.

While I was doing radiation, I had a weekly blood test for counts, too.

Did I mention I hate needles? I'm a "hard stick" and anything that the average person could have done with one poke takes at least three on me. Just deal with the big picture and try to relax - and staying hydrated helps with blood flow and the techs finding a vein...

Good luck to you,

Becky

Boy, it has been a long time for me..

Premeds. They give you before they give you the chemo. Some are to help with the effects of nausea that used to be a problem for alot of people in the past. The other is in case you may be allergic to the chemo and would therefore prevent anaphalactic shock. I am not sure what other premed they give. It is given IV generally right before the chemo infusion. Sometimes the premeds take longer than the chemo itself.

Have you visited your chemo room yet? Or have you had a "chemo class"? Some kinds of chemo take longer to infuse than others. I could usually count on spending pretty much a whole day there between radiation first, then blood draw to check levels, wait for doctor to approve, then the premed and then the chemo. I sometimes would ask a boyfriend to come down for a couple hours for some cards or a boardgame. That helped to break up the day so that it didn't seem so long.

I miss those warm blankets that the nurses put on you...oh, so soothing.

best to you Marie!

Cindi o'h

My wife has had a port for almost three years and she loves it. So much easier on her for chemo. You do have to be sure it is flushed once a month so it does not get plugged up. Also, you can get it infected if not careful -- my wife's first port got a staph infection and had to be removed (hospital used the port for other things), so she only uses the port for chemo now, as recommended by the surgeon who put it in. Don

PIN PRICKS?? WOW, times have changed!! I had mine put on with a RED AND BLUE MARKER PEN! But, it's been 10 years for me.

However, it only took about 5 minutes max for me also. Nothing to be afraid of. It's not painful and the techs are always so nice and fun. (MOST OF THEM)!

I didn't have a port, but I sure know a lot of people who did and swear by them. If I had to ever do this over again, I would have a PORT!

Anti-Nausea Meds are given before your chemo. They do that to help prevent sickness from the chemo. Just say to yourself over and over and OVER again, "I'm NOT going to get sick, I'm NOT going to get sick" My hubby and I did that everyday of chemo, and the first two days of chemo I felt a little light headed and some nausea and that was it. The rest of the journey went just fine.

DO drink lots of water so you don't dehydrate. That IS something that DID happen to me when I completed my treatments and it wasn't much fun! So drink LOTS OF WATER! I wasn't a big Water drinker, but I learned to do it. :roll:

Marie,

For radiation, you'll end up with tattoos. It kinda hurts, but it really is just a pin prick.

Good luck to you,

Becky

After the first week of all your treatments my dear, you will be a pro! :roll: Not a ALL what someone want's be a PRO at, but it's all fall into place and you'll be fine!

Best wishes, and we're pulling for you! You can DO THIS! You'll see!

I followed Connie by a couple of years. I got tatoos. All they amount to is 2 tiny freckles! Radiation for me was also very efficient in and out once you get past that first visit to get all set up. I did not have a port either but if you are to have weeks of chemo ( as I did) I think it is a great way to fly for after a while even if you have great veins they begin to rebel.

I had pre meds like anti nausea . One day before Cispatin I had Ativan I believe , that day I had to get someone to drive me and pick me up. The other days I had etoposide and that was no problem , I could drive. Best wishes. Keep us posted. Donna G.

Also quick and to the point.... once you are set-up with radiation, you are in and out in a matter pf minutes. For chemo, my mom gets steroids and anti-nausea stuff (as well as Zometa for bone strength) in the same drip before they start the "real" stuff. First week, her chemo is about 3 hours and the following week it is closer to 45-60 minutes.

Good Luck. I am glad you have decided to go for it!

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers,

Holly

For my radiation they drew lines on my chest with some kind of blue marker. They told me that they didn't use tatoos because as the area is radiated the point of concentration can change slightly. I had to be careful not to wash the marks off but no problem really.

Nina