Tarceva Week 5

bcbcbc

Saw the onc today. Seems concerned that the rash may be continuing to spread down over my bod.

Right now it's all over my scalp, face, neck, shoulders with outbreaks on rib cage. I'm a freakin' mess. No doubt about that.

But other than the itching/burning discomfort I don't have other issues as with Alimta. I'll take a rash over pneumonia, weakness and desperate SOB any day.

In any case we agreed to back off the dosage to 150mg for two days--then a day off. So I guess that's the equivalent of reducing it to 100mg daily.

I go back next week for another look at the blooming rash, which I hope has hit full bloom and a fade by then.

On the up tick we know that Tarceva is doing something :?

Best to all...

Keeping the best thoughts for you, bc. That Tarceva rash is indescribeable. Mike had to quit Tarceva due to shortness of breath, but he had a rash like you describe within 3 to 5 days. The onc was concerned because of the white heads and possiblility of infection. Do you have any antibiotic ointment for it? Mike used one to keep down the possibility of infection. Let us know what the onc says. Sounds like you may be having some good results from it.

Sue

Thanks for the heads up about Tarceva.....am starting it tomorrow. How it clears up for you soon but you continue to have results. My friend works in the research department at the local cancer center and seems as though (according to her monograph) that the rash is a good thing actually as far as the tumor progression/regression is concerned.

Continued Success,

Pat

bc,

A big WOOOHOOO for the "it's doing something" part and a big BOOOHOO for the icky rash part. Sorry you have anything else to make your days less than great. Hopefully, that rash will subdue as time goes on. Hope so!

Pat,

Everyone's reaction is pretty different. Don't panic if you don't get an icky rash (I didn't) and don't expect one, either. You just never know. No sense worrying BEFORE the milk's spilt.

Leslie

Thanks for all the feedback and good wishes.

The rash has subdued considerably. As I mentioned somewhere we changed the dosage to 2 days @150mg then 1 day off. Seems that would = 100mg daily.

I have to wonder how much of the change in the rash is due to the reduced dosage and how much to biochemical adaptation/improved tolerance.

It's 6 weeks today on Tarceva. The real question is what's going on with the cancer. I'm seeing the onc today and will address that. Is it time for a new CT scan? Bone scan? Or is it too soon to know what Tarceva is doing?

Aside from the rash I have had no other significant side effects from Tarceva. That places it on the top of my hit parade of cancer drugs.

Now if this s...t is actually attacking the cancer that would make it the real deal.

bc,

Sending lots of thoughts and strength your way to help that Tarceva work!

It wasn't until I took the Tarceva for two months and a CT scan he could compare to a pre-Tarceva scan that my onc said "Look! I see not just stability, but actual shrinkage!" I'd been held stable for months by Iressa before that.

This kind of targeted therapy seems to show its effect pretty quickly, it seems. So hope you have some good news later today!

Leslie

I'm coming to this late. I hope the rash has subsided a bit for you, bc. I agree - the big question is what's it doing to the tumors? my mom has no rash whatsoever, and the docs told us over and over that the rash does not correlate to the drug's success. in your case, I truly hope the ill effects are outweighed by the good.

I, too, would like to know what the standard re-scan time is to see how Tarceva is doing. as in many other areas ( :lol: ) my mother is a weird case - she has no tumors, but was placed on Tarceva because she has one of the success-predicting genetic mutations. still, I'd like to know when it's right to check and see if anything new is a-growing.

keep in touch, bc.

xoxo

bunny

Sounds about right...

I reached a point where the rash took over my head, face, neck, chest, arms, and pretty much the entire back of my body from head to foot. I looked like I had reclined in bumpy red paint! The good news is the rash (for me) is cyclic. It will be there for a period of time, then it will disappear, then it will come back.

Just remember to stay away from Grapefruit and Grapefruit Juice.

I have fingers and toes crossed that the side effects are tolerable and the drug works well for you, BC.