update on Mike

shineladysue

Hi everyone,

I haven't given you an update on Mike in a while. I'm sorry, I somehow have a hard time talking about us, but I do want to share what is going on.

Mike has been on CPT-11 since October 10th. That was two treatments at 3 weeks apart. They were very hard on him. He was extremely fatigued and very nauseated. The first 3 weeks were rough and the last 3 have been rougher. He is having a lot of trouble with belching and stomach acid etc. His appetite just isn't returning this time. He is eating , but this "bubbly burps" or air coming up is really a problem with him. Anyhow, we had an appointment with the onc today and Mike told him "no more of this one, but I'm not giving up." The game plan now is to scan in two weeks and see if there were any results. A week after that, we will meet with the onc for the results. His plan is to put him on etopiside pills next. We are running out of options here. There are only a couple left and the etopiside is one of them. He said he can do pills or iv, but with the pills you can stop quicker if you can't tolerate it. If by chance the scans show the CPT-11 was working, we may opt to revisit that in a lower dose. So, summary, is 2 weeks til scans and results and new plan in 3. In the meantime, I'm hoping to get him eating better and regaining some strength. We would appreciate your prayers to help us along. I hope all of you know how much we care for you and we keep you in our prayers.

Love,

Sue

Sue,

So sorry Mike is having such a rough time. Glad you have a good game plan mapped out. Plans always make us feel better. Charlie has done pretty well with the Etoposide IV along with Avastin and Carbo. Hope this will be manageable side-effects for Mike and a magic bullet to boot. My prayers are always with you both for strength, hope and comfort. Take care.

Dear Sue,

I'm so sorry to read that Mike is having such a miserable time with treatment. Please know that I will be thinking of you both and hoping for some relief to all of these terrible side effects he is having.

Love,

Just hang on to those options...at least the doctor hasn't told you there is nothing left to try. I was reading your profile and you are due for something to work here soon! Hopefully you can get him built back up and eating. Chemo is hard.

Rochelle

Oh Sue, Sue, I am so sorry that Mike is not doing so good. Please know that I have him in my meditation prayers. I pray you get some good results from the upcoming tests.

You are such a strong presence here with you positive support for others that we would want to give back to you. But you have to let us know what is going on so we can give you support and prayers to Mike.

Please do not shut us out. We want to help.

Maryanne

Just checking in. I just want to thank everyone for your good wishes , thoughts and prayers. All of you mean so much to me. I don't mean to be shutting anyone out, as Maryanne said. Forgive me if I seem that way. I've posted every change of meds and scans etc., but I find expressing my feelings hard. Never in my whole life have I found myself at a loss for words until cancer entered our lives. It seems there are too many times that I just don't know what to say and I don't want to bring others down with my feelings. It seems to help me more to try to find someone else on the board to listen to or try to help. I guess I don't need to explain. We are all going through this together. Love you guys. Don't forget that.

Love,

Sue

Sue,

Thanks for sharing all the news with us. I know it's no fun typing out news you aren't too happy with.

Sending all good thoughts and wishes for Mike to start feeling better very soon. In addition to congrats and woohoo's for survivor anniversaries, I often think of sending my deepest admiration and applause to those who, like Mike, keep on trucking while treatments are so rough on them. Standing ovation for Mike - he's tougher than I've ever had to be yet and he is a hero to me.

Leslie

You know what else is so hard?

It seems like the update is only accurate for about 5 minutes.

Brian seems to change constantly.

I just told Pastor we would try to make it to services tomorrow night. W/in 10 minutes of that phone call Brian began horrible back spasms.......This is new and very scary.

Sue, we all care about you and Mike.

Love

P