Chemo and nausea

DJR

My dad is currently on his 4th cycle of Carbo/Taxotere, up until this point he has had just slight nausea after the treatment. He had his 4th treatment last Wednesday and is still sick after taking every anti-nausea medicine prescribed. Has anyone had the same? It is so hard to see someone when they are this sick.

Thanks,

Donnie

my mom was fine after round 1 and really really sick after round 2. She also had 15 days of whole brain radiation, so that didn't help. But every side effect...she had. And it was awful to watch. But, she is much better and getting stronger every day (it's been about 2.5 weeks since round 2).

My husband is still ill after chemo a over a week ago. His med was changed from compazine to zofran and it helps a little. Also be sure to check his mouth, tongue area for any signs of fungal infections. My husband has that too and a special antibiotic mouthwash was given to him.

Blessings to you,

Peg

Hi Donnie-

I just got my mom a prescription for maritol which they said helps with nausea and appetite. My mom just finished her 3rd round of Carbo/Taxol and she's been ok with the nausea as long as she takes everything when she is suppose to. She takes Azemet day of and two days after chemo and then compazine from there on once every six hours. She doesn't skip a pill once. (it says to take it when needed, but once you have the symptom it seems to get harder to get rid of...so I recommend to take the doses even if not needed at the time)

Get your Dad a relief band...you wear it around the wrist and it stimulates the nerve that controls nausea. You can buy them at any drugstore. They are around $100, but worth every penny. The band has really helped my Dad. He takes kytrile and zofran for nausea, but he can turn on his relief band and get almost instant relief.

Good luck,

Kelly

Blocking the Nausea Response

More than half of cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy will experience vomiting after treatment. The number of those nauseated is likely to be even higher. Controlling this side effect can improve a patient’s sense of well-being and allow them to continue their daily routine during the course of therapy.

Many chemotherapy agents cause nausea and vomiting by stimulating proteins in the brain known as NK1 receptors, which trigger the vomiting response. A new drug called Emend® (aprepitant) has been developed to block this signal.

In March 2003, the FDA approved Emend for the control of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting, which occurs both immediately or a day or more after chemotherapy administration. Emend represents the first approved drug that controls both delayed and immediate nausea and vomiting. Emend is taken orally for three days starting the day before chemotherapy.

Emend was evaluated in two separate studies of more than 1,000 cancer patients receiving high-dose cisplatin. Patients were given either standard medication alone (Zofran® [ondansatron] or Kytril® [granisetron] and Decadron® [dexamethasone]) or in combination with Emend to control nausea and vomiting. There was a 20% decrease in the incidence of vomiting among patients given Emend in addition to standard medication.

To learn more about Emend, visit www.emend.com.