Pulmonary Embolism... calling all armchair docs.

cindi o'h

anyone able to tell me their experience with pulmonary emboli(sm)?

did your legs swell? One or the other? knees?

Were you short of breath? how bad? Off and on or steady?

Pain? in back or front? one side or both? How severe?

how was it detected? chest xray? ultrasound? CT?

Was it big or small?

thanks. Cindi o'h

Dad, just dealt with one. It caused his whole arm to swell very big. It hurt to lift...pinched a nerve. It was fine when he was still. He had IV heparin and now has lovenox injections. He was in the hospital for a week. They wanted to make sure it did not travel. THey did sonograms to evalluate its size. THey take a awhile to resolve.

Good luck,

Much love,

eppie

Definitely SOB. Charlie couldn't hardly walk through the house. Sometimes clots in the legs are painful...sometimes not. The dr. took his pulse and it was elevated (115) and his oxygen level was below 90. A CT was used to confirm it. If you think you have them, you need to call an ambulance. The death rate is high. They put you on a heparin IV. Take care. Hope it is your asthma acting up.

Eeek...Cindi! :shock::shock: You know better than to mess with something like this - call your doctor, please...ASAP. Sure sounds like PE to me. A CT and ultrasound of the legs (If that's where the pain is?) to rule it out certainly won't hurt. You behave, and make that call...wish I were closer - I'd rat you off, myself...:wink:

Hopefully, you are on the phone, or at the docs as we speak...

Be well, dear lady!

~Stacey

Cindi,when i was hospitalized with one I didn't even know I had it.I had so many things bothering me at that time I had a chest x-ray and a ct scan.We drove home from the hospital(over an hours worth)only to recieve a phone call telling us to get back in there.

Turned out I had blood clot in my remaining lung.Was in hosp.for a couple days and went home with self inject lovenox shots for about 5 to 7 days and then blood thinners which I still need to take.

If you suspect this don't fool around,get to the dr.if you haven't already.

did your legs swell? One or the other? knees?

Were you short of breath? how bad? Off and on or steady?

Pain? in back or front? one side or both? How severe?

how was it detected? chest xray? ultrasound? CT?

Was it big or small?

well, cindi, now I have that song stuck in my head: "do your ears hang low, do they wobble to and fro..." :lol: yes, Frank, I know there are other versions of it.

OK: Suki's ankles and feet swelled up, she had no 'pain' but extreme SOB. they called her clot small, but stated that with one lung it was enough to wreak havoc. they spotted it on a CT (I think) when we brought her in for the SOB. Sloan Kett. caught it after her regular GP's idiot stand-in (GP was away) missed it.

hope this helps.

editing this to chime in: BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY on this one, lady. get to the doc/er if you think you MIGHT have a PE.

hugs to you, cindi girl.

xoxo

bunny

Oh Cindi I don't know what to say. I'm so sad for you, I wish I could put my arms around you right now. I don't know much about congestive heart failure so I'm praying there are things they can do for you. I guess it is a good sign they sent you home. Please keep us posted and let me know if there is anything I can do for you. Remember I live in Minneapolis area.

Love,

Denise

Glad to hear you do not have a PE. My mom has one now. :( She ws just starting to gain some strength after her surgery which was complicated by subcutaneous emphysema. She had a followup scheduled with her pulmonologist on Wed. 11/30 and admitted to him that she had felt more short of breath the past few days and had even less energy (did not know that was possible). Her sats and chest x-ray were okay, so he sent her for a CT scan which showed a PE. Now she is back in the hospital receiving Lovenox injections and Coumadin. Fortunately an ultrasound of her lower extremities was negative for any blood clots. We were supposed to have gone for the big conference with the oncologist on Dec. 1, now who knows when we will be able to do that.

The doctor said that her being in the hospital for 13 days after surgery with virtually no activity kind of set her up for this. What an awful rollercoaster this has been. Two steps forward and 2.25 steps back.